Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop-up windows

Help please!

I'm using Business v6.0 and would like to be able to create a pop-up window that links to a specific URL (to cut down on work involved in recreating product specifications).

So far I have found out how to create a pop-up window but can't see how to populate it with information contained on another website. I've also found out how to link (via text link) to another URL but not as a pop-up (I completely exit my own site).

Is there a simple solution that I have overlooked?

Many thanks.

You could just add some html to your product description like this (it should all be on one line):-

!!<<input type=button value="Visit the Manufacturer" onclick="ShowPopUp('http://www.actinic.co.uk',800,600)">>!!

This adds a button to your page that when clicked calls the tiny JavaScript routine that actinic uses for its own popups. The two numbers are required and are the width and height of the popup window. If you look at actiniccore.js (in your Site1 folder) you'll see the ShowPopUp routine.

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Pop-up thanks.

Thanks Norman.

I found something similar in the Advanced User's Guide:

Using Custom JavaScript pop-up windows (Martian to me). Would this be the same exercise?

Graham.

Comment

Would this be the same exercise?

No - Norman's solution is much, much easier. I'll be putting it the Advanced User Guide in due course.

Comment

Ooops - I forgot to add that you could also use an image as the thing to click (again all on one line):-

!!<<input type=image src="moreinfo.gif" onclick="ShowPopUp('http://www.actinic.co.uk',800,600)">>!!

Norman

Comment

If you'd rather not patch the little fragments into your product description here's away to accomplish the same thing using a CUSTOMVAR.

In Actinic Advanced / Custom Properties click the + sign and add a new property EXTERNALLINK

In Act_ProductLine.html (and any other ProductLine Templates you use) locate the line:-

NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTDESCRIPTION&nbsp;NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOLINK</span>NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOBUTTON

immediately below this add this line to create a form button (it should be a single long line)

<script language=JavaScript>if ( "CUSTOMVAR:EXTERNALLINK" )document.write('<input type=button value="Manufacturers Site" onclick="ShowPopUp(\'CUSTOMVAR:EXTERNALLINK\',800,600)">');</script>

You can change "Manufacturers Site" to whatever you like.

alternatively if you'd prefer a clickable image for the link use this line (it should be a single long line)

<script language=JavaScript>if ( "CUSTOMVAR:EXTERNALLINK" )document.write('<input type=image src="mybutton.gif" onclick="ShowPopUp(\'CUSTOMVAR:EXTERNALLINK\',800,600)">');</script>

Only use one of the choices above.
            You can move this code around within Act_ProductLine.html for alternative layouts.
            The 800,600 above is the width and height of the popup window and can be changed to suit your requirements.

That's the customization done.

Now whenever you have a product with an external site just select the Properties tab, click the "+" button, select EXTERNALLINK and set is value to e.g. http://www.actinic.co.uk and that's that.

Norman

Comment

Wow! Thanks again.

I'm currently labouring on the "design from scratch" for the master templates.

I'll let you know (and others who can benefit) how I get along with your instructions.

kind regards.

Graham.

Comment

Working...
              X