Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website Width

Hi,

Would anyone be able to look at my website please and tell me what I need to change so that it automatically adjusts to fit the width of the customer's screen? At the moment the right side of the page is chopped off on a lot of computers.

The website is www.EasternLink.co.uk and it uses Actinic version 7.

Many thanks

The size of your logo is the issue, if you work on a principle that the smallest screen size you are designing to would be 1024 wide, your logo does not want to be wider than 1000px. Yours is 1300 odd.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
      Yours is 1300 odd.
      Is that a proportional unit like 1300 ems?

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

LOL, I forgot what it was and culdn't be bothered to reopen it as whatever it was, it was too big. We could start a new cross browser sizing mesaurement though, the 'odd'. Like your style.

Comment

Hi! Thank you for your help. I've changed the width of the logo to 1000, but now the space to the right of it is filled with solid purple which looks quite ugly! Is there any way to change that to white?

I'm not sure if it's helped with the website width either, as it has always fitted on my screen... Can anyone tell?

Thanks

Comment

Backup then...

Try searching for this in ActPrimary:

<td bgcolor="#4a2e91" align="left">

and change it to just:

<td align="left">

You may also have to do the same for ActBrochurePrimary and any other outer templates used.

Comment

As you have resized the image, you no longer need "HEIGHT=110 WIDTH=1000" in the templates.

However, your centre panel is set to a fixed width of 900px, your side panels at 200 - total 900+200+200 = 1300 'odds'. Your own screen must be at 1280 or more and you have amazing eyesight or a massive monitor

As Duncan says, backup or copy the file to be worked on first....

In Act_BrochurePrimary find:

Code:
              table width="900"
              and change "900" to "600".

Upload the site to check, you have only changed the Brochure Pages thus far. If that works, then you can make the same changes in Act_Primary (*) and Act_PrimaryCheckout (**).

(*) In Act_Primary, a bit lower down, you also have TABLE WIDTH="750" - change that to "100%".

(**) In PrimaryCheckout, you also have an <hr> tag set at 900 wide (But that could be in Design | Text somewhere).

If you don't have access to another PC, temporarily re-set your own screen resolution to 1024x768 to check the results. At least not many people still use 800 x 600!
              Paul
              Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Well, thank you very much for trying to help, but I fear I have way too little knowledge to follow your advice and I am at my wits end!!

I have looked through the templates many times trying to find the snippets mentioned in the last 2 posts, but no joy!

I did manage to change the ACTSTDWIDTH value in Design/Options from 900 to 600. This just squashed the contents of the main central box over to the left of the box, but the box stayed the same width. And even this only happened on the home page. The rest of the site just stayed the same.

I wonder where any of you live and if you would be willing to do it for me?! How much would you charge?

Comment

you might find your money is better spent by attending the Actinic Design course - details on the website

Comment

Either that or bring in the sevices of a designer.

From what I see you have no brouchure pages and nothing tells me anything about whom I as a customer is going to give my money to. You need to instill confidence in your customers before they will buy, get some blurb on there before anything else!
                    www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

Well, my website has been up and running successfully for the last 4 years. It is only in the last couple of months that I have tried to solve the problem of it being too wide, and I seem to have stuffed it up in the process!!

I don't really want to go on a course as it is only the width that I want to change on the site. Does anyone know where I could find someone to do that for me?

Thanks

Comment

Maybe you took my last post as a bit critical, maybe it was, although not intentional.

You would be amazed at the lift a little more knowledge or the use of a designer makes to the sales, it could well make a very large difference, it certainly has in our case and that is why I posted what I did.
                        www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

Working...
                        X