Second Hand Actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Hand Actinic

Can someone answer me a question please, If i purchased a copy of actinic of a friend who is no longer using it, its not on any website and i have the box, the disc, the manual and the license key all original, and a letter confirming this product is mine, is it still legal to use this package.

Were currently running Catalog V5 and have been offered Business V5 and want to know if it would be ok to to use this other version of actinic.

Thanks,

P.s When we have this version of business and its on our website would we be allowed to sell our version of catalog to someone else,
    James
    ------------------
    ModelPower.co.uk - Quality Batteries - Affordable Prices

Purchase of second-hand license s

Hi there,

Unfortunately, The software license agreement does not permit the transfer of licenses from one user to another.

Please could you contact Actinic sales on 0845-1294800 and ask for Mark Rice to receive further advice on this issue.
    Phil Rothwell
    SellerDeck

Comment

Buying in the USA?

Although we've been Actinic Catalog users since 1999 I have some difficulty with the terms of the licencing.

As stated in the terms, the licence and key are not transferrable. Apparently most other software publishers permit transfer and onward sale of the complete package provided the seller fully removes the software from the PC.

Actinic make it clear that transfer is prohibited yet we seem to be unable to obtain any discount when upgrading from TWO fully licenced versions of Catalog 4 to one copy of Developer 6.

This potentially leaves us in the position of having paid the full market price for both old and new packages and yet unable to recoup any return on the obsolete or superceded version. It is a disincentive to upgrading and looks very much like Actinic wanting their cake AND wanting it again.

With these unfavourable terms and the favourable US exchange rates we are tempted to purchase Developer in the US at approximately half the price of the UK price. Can anyone say if this will not work of if there are any license, legal or practical obstacles or barriers? This way Actinig get the full US retail price and we get the full package in a legal manner. [I]

Comments and suggestions appreciated.
      Chris

Comment

I've always wondered why the upgrade (and support) fee is so high. I certainly think the initial software package is good value, but the cost of annual support or upgrades really does act as a disincentive to keep up with the latest version. I would have already upgraded to a newer version (currently on 5) if the upgrade fee was more reasonable.

I have no idea how many users take on annual support or buy each new upgrade, and understand that Actinic needs the funding to keep the software moving forward, but I am sure that offering a decent discount on upgrades (eg. 50% of full price software price) would encourage more users to follow a regular upgrade path. Even Microsoft don't expect 100% of initial price on upgrades.

Comments from both admin and others users greatly appreciated (and no, I don't want to call admin to discuss it further thanks (having read that a few times now, its beginning to sound ominous!). Please lets keep all the information out on the boards for all your users to view).

Comment

OK (foot in mouth) - guess I should have checked first, but upgrade price isn't as high as I though it was! Have the upgrade/support prices been reduced recently, or if my memory just letting me down?
          Having said that, I still think £150-£200 would be a more reasonable annual support (or single version upgrade) figure.

Comment

Price on Developer is UK£1500 plus VAT (even more with support)
            Actinic website shows no upgrade discount from Catalog 4
            Inquiries suggest that Actinic partners will not offer discount.

Upgrading from Catalog v4 to v6 is UK£250 or £379 for full version for each copy.

£500 to upgrade seems inexpensive against £1500 for European version of Developer but seems excessive against the £860 for the US version of Developer (PayPal option omitted).

Annual support from Actinic is currently £200 when bought with software.
            Chris

Comment

Just to clarify, the UK price for Actinic Developer is £1500 plus VAT. This includes one year's support and upgrades and a day of training.

If you want to upgrade from Catalog v4 to Developer v6 plus Cover, then the standard price is £1310 plus VAT. However, we do have a special offer price of £1149 plus VAT running on this package until 29th February 2004. This offer is available directly from Actinic and through partners.

I hope this is useful, if you would like to discuss pricing in more detail then please don't hesitate to call Actinic sales on 0845-1294800.

(Please note that all prices quoted are subject to contract and may be changed by Actinic without notice.)
              Phil Rothwell
              SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
              X