Adding text to catalog page for Search Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding text to catalog page for Search Engines

Just found my site in a couple of search engines and they display my site as follows -

AllTheWeb
    Low Carb Goodies Low Carb Food UK
    Low Carb Snack Bars Low Carb Chocolate Low Carb Cookies & Cakes Low Carb Cereals Low Carb Drinks Low Carb Misc 1. Keto Bar Taster Pack 2. Vanilla Ice Cream 3. FeelingOK Cake Mix ...
    Description: Low Carb Goodies supply low carb foods, snacks, drinks and breakfasts to the low carb comunity in the UK
    http://www.lowcarbgoodies.co.uk/ - 13 KB
    AskJeeves
    Low Carb Goodies Low Carb Food UK
    Low Carb Cookies Cakes Ready made Biscuits and mixes for Cookies Cakes and Muffins Low Carb Misc Ice Cream Tortilla Chips Syrup Low Carb Drinks...
    www.lowcarbgoodies.co.uk
    Now, I've alredy sorted the title, but the descriptions are naff!

It seems alltheweb is using the text on my home page for the description - Unfortunately my home (catalog) page does not have any intro text so it is reading the section names down the left side which looks awful.

I'm not really sure where jeeves got it's description from?

so, does anyone know -

1) Where jeeves gets the description field from?

2) How to I put a brief text description at the top of my home page? (note I'm using the catalog root as the home page, not the brochure pages)

3) Will the text from answer 2) be read before the section headings on the left?

(goto www.lowcarbgoodies.co.uk to view the page as it is now - I just want a one or two liner at the top just above the sections)
    John

The only way I have figured out to do this is hard code a paragraph after the body tag in Act_CatalogBody.html.
    Bob Ladden

Comment

will that just appear on the main page, or all catalog pages?
      John

Comment

Just the main page.
        Bob Ladden

Comment

How do I know this will be picked up before the other text on the page? I don't want to put it in, wait a couple of weeks for my site to be refreshed by the search engines and then find it's reading stuff in the wrong order...

And any idea about jeeves?
          John

Comment

You can't be sure. Some search engines will pick up your meta description tag. Some will pick up what ever it sees first. That is why you want to put something after the body tag. Other will try to be smart and pull something from anywhere on the page based on keywords. They usually are wrong.
            Bob Ladden

Comment

Working...
            X