Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing a users login on desktop

Hi all,

The member of staff who administers actinic for us have moved on and a new person employed. The computer is the same but they have a different log in to the computer with their own personalised desktop email etc.
    If I point Actinic to the location as per the previous owner, when you try and run the program you are given the following error message:

Error locating the "original" directory

I can re-install the software (which I would rather not do as I haven't managed to locate the CD yet) but would rather figure out if this is something I have done wrong.

Thanks
    Mark

You don't need the CD, download the latest version off the actinic site, all you need is the license key to install it. The CD is a nice coaster, that's about it.

Comment

OK found my CD and more importantly the software code.
      The real issue is do I really have to re-install the software just because I have changed who the user login is on that PC. Seems a bit daft to me.

Comment

If you're new user does not have full admin rights then you may have to reinstall.
        If you do so then make sure the version you are planning to install and the currently loaded version are exactly the same and that you have adequate backups in place first.

Comment

When Actinic is installed, you choose an option to run Actinic "only for the current user" or for "any person who uses this PC". If the first option was chosen (I think that's the default) when Actinic was originally installed then it wil have applied some settings in the Windows Registry under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" (ie. the user that installed it) which means that other users logged on to the PC can't run Actinic. If you're comfortable editing the registry (only do this if you know what you're doing, and back up first anyway!!) then you could conceivably move the Actinic keys to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE so that all your users can run Actinic.
          ActiveStock
          On-line, real-time stock control plug-in for Actinic V7, V8 and V9
          **New - Captcha plug-in for your Contact Us form**

ActiveStock website
          Free 30 Day Trial
          ActiveStock Blog (including a new tutorial on a 'Sort By' function for long section pages)

Comment

True it could be worth a try - but you may also have to edit some keys to set the site paths etc and you may still have some issues with permissions - especially if you're running Vista.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt repsonse, I guess that was down to me selecting the local user option when I installed a few years ago.
              I have taken my site snapshot and moved that to a different area.

Would you say its best to remove the software under the old user and install fresh on the new user?
              edit - I have played with registry before but with the time available I guess i'll leave that

Comment

I would recommend backing up the entire Site directory, not just the snapshot.
                If it was me I would completely uninstall the software, delete the original directories and then reinstall for all users.

Comment

Yes, I'd say best to reinstall under the new user (maybe picking the "any user on this PC" option this time to protect for the future!) and then import your snapshot (or move the Site1 folder and then copy it back in again). I know the uninstall / reinstall process can take a bit of time, but it's less painful than getting an unexpected registry error!
                  ActiveStock
                  On-line, real-time stock control plug-in for Actinic V7, V8 and V9
                  **New - Captcha plug-in for your Contact Us form**

ActiveStock website
                  Free 30 Day Trial
                  ActiveStock Blog (including a new tutorial on a 'Sort By' function for long section pages)

Comment

Working...
                  X