Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprising experience that may help you..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprising experience that may help you..

Hi everyone, I wanted to share some info with you that has surprised me in the hope that one or two of you may be able to confirm this from past experience or apply it to try it, (if it proves to be correct) for yourselves to benefit your sales if you currently display the following on your site.

Last week I worked on a whole stack of improvements for my web site glasses2you.co.uk which included some home page improvements, securing the checkout pages (prior to going to HSBC) with an SSL cert, applying some new security graphics to back this up along with several more nicey nicey encourage to buy elements throughout the site.

Once I published the changes, we had the worst 2 days of sales we have experienced for about 18 months. Sales literally halved!!! The first day I put down to bad luck, the second I just started to panic. Once we were sure that the cause was one of the new updates, we started to go through an elimination process to see exactly what the cause was.

Surprisingly (and I still can't quite believe this), the offending item appears to have been the HSBC bank logo. I had included this in my 'this is how secure this site is' graphics. A subsequent email received from a customer who ended up clicking off the site revealed that he thought you had to have an HSBC bank account to buy from us and as he didn't, he left!!!

It sounds crazy and I still can't believe that this could have caused the drop, but since removing it, our sales have not only gone back up, but have increased by 20% to what they were before the improvements which shows that all the other stuff I did has had a positive impact. Now......., I can only tell you the facts as I have them and this is my experience. This recent experience has made us uncomfortable enough that we are going to pull out all the stops to upgrade to Version 9 so that we can implement the Actinic Payment solution as I understand that this will be more easily manipulated to look like the user isn't leaving our site and will hopefully lead to less abandonments.

As I say, if any of you have also experienced this or can discount it as rubbish and therefore totally coincidental, I would be really interested to know. Cheers, Ian

I see more images missing for your site than those that are actually there. I'd suggest this to be a far larger cause of your issues. The site looks unkempt and your server is giving capacity warnings (using IE8). All of these will have a much bigger impact than the HSBC logo IMO. I'd say concidence.

Comment

what on earth is the url?

Comment

It looks fine to me in IE8. A nice site actually IMHO.
        KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Still missing most images and capacity error messages being seen for me.

Comment

Looks fine for me too.
            What you been up to with your PC Lee?

Comment

Bizarre - works fine here. Its very quick too. Back to the subject though, I don't think the HSBC sign would have been responsible. I don't know too many people who would be shopping online, but then have that ignorance of the images. I suspect those people wouldn't shop online in the first place.

Comment

as a glasses user, i tend to use more than wear!
                i have bought from this type of site before.
                The layout is a bit out and that would put me off, especially if my eyes couldn't focus well.
                the second page i viewed after home page in firefoxlots
                glasses2you dot co dot uk/acatalog/Acetate_Glasses.html

or is it supposed to do that?
                Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Here it is, no other site doing this, everything else is fine?

Image references all over the place, some to acatalog, some to images sub folder. I'd be surprised to see one sale let alone reduced ones in this state, it's unusable.
                  Attached Files

Comment

This seems to be local to you Lee.
                    Kevin sees it OK in IE8 and it's fine for me in FF, Chrome and IE6.

Comment

My version...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	542778

Comment

Maybe just local to me then, error log seems to point to something else though. Why the only site that isn't working for me. Each time I refresh the page, I am served up with different images working and some disappearing, server seems borked to me. Hopefully just me experiencing it, same in all browsers for me.

Comment

Hi, can't help much but thought I'd say the site was ok for me! D
                          Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

Could be a load balanced system and the server that is deploying the content to you is stuffed and the one to others is OK...... either way, its more likely this is the problem than the HSBC logo in my opinion.

Comment

Have you tried to refresh with Ctrl-F5 to force the ISP cache or adding a ? or # after the URL?

Comment

Working...
                              X