.htaccess block script creating problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.htaccess block script creating problems

We've got a client who wants to restrict access to their Actinic catalog based on refering URLs. So basically, if someone gets to their web site via a link on a specific web site, they are allowed into the catalog. Now, I've created a .htaccess file with mod_rewrite rules to do this, but it seems like the perl redirect scripts in Actinic are creating problems.

The private catalog is located: http://bcgroupintl.net which you can't view unless you follow a link on this page: http://darmedia.com/test.html. Now, once you're viewing that page, you will be able to click around a few of the links (Home, Service, News, Login at the top-right). But you'll notice that as soon as you follow one of the catalog links (Products, or any of the categories in the left sidebar) you'll hit a redirect page that denies you access.

Via some testing, I'm very confident that the problem is that somehow the script ss000001.pl in the cgi-bin is causing the problem by doing a redirect that does not have a referring URL, thus causing the Rewrite Rules in the htaccess to deny access.

Now, the client does not want to use user logins to restrict access, because they want to give access to a very large company, and they want to make sure that only customers from that company have access. They don't want to give one login to the whole company, because every time an employee left, they would need to change the password. And they don't want to set up individual logins for the employees of that company, because there are too many (I'm not sure how many, but it's a lot of hassle if there are more than a handful).

So, can anyone suggest a way to modify or edit that ss script so the redirects back into the HTML pages have a referring URL, or maybe an alternate solution for restricting access to the catalog?

Update:
    I've just found out the client is running a newer version, specifically 8.5.2.1.0.0 HNPR
    Last edited by matt.c; 09-Jul-2009, 05:32 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong forum
    Matthew Cowgur
    DARMEDIA, Inc.

Here's a much more simple idea - as what you have detailed sounds much like an epic failure, why not use customer accounts and require user-login to enter the catalog? Thus, you can only view the catalog once you enter a username/password...without knowing what the client is aiming for (other than the most destructive ecommerce idea I've heard in a while), it's difficult to draw a picture...

Comment

I don't think you can do it the way you want to.

The first time a visitor arives from the darmedia.com site, the referrer info will have darmedia.com as the referrering page. Any links that are followed from there on though will all have the bcgroup domain as the referrer no matter how they arrived at the site in the first place.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
      X