Use LAN to bypass FTP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use LAN to bypass FTP?

Our web server is networked on my production machine on the same LAN. However, it seems I have to use FTP to update the web server, I cannot seem to find an easy or efficient way to simply copy it onto the mapped drive that is teh webserver's drive. The files in Site1 do not seem to replicate the actual website structure. Is there a way to use the site update or refresh feature to copy the files across mapped drives on the LAN instead of FTP? At the moment with 4000 files in the csv file and each one being a section category of its own, a site update is taking in excess of 2-3 hours via FTP.
    Regards, Tom

There's a function in Advanced to Generate the web site files. This appears to be left in for compatibility with previous version and is no longer supported. I think it updates the files in SiteHTML but you need to manually upload other files to get a fully working installation. See Actinic's built-in help for info.

This may be of some use to you but somehow I think there's a problem with your FTP server installation. I regularly ftp across a 100mbit LAN around 5,000 files (mainly graphics of about 5Kb each) and this completes in minutes not hours. There should be little difference for a bundle of HTML files, they're all just data to the FTP server.

Could it be that it's the site generation time that's causing the delays rather than the FTP time.

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Sounds like you're FTP-ing out onto the net then back onto your server rather than ftp-ing via static local IP of the server in question.... (?)
      Cheers!
      Marci - <a href="http://www.Over-Clock.co.uk" target="_blank">www.Over-Clock.co.uk</a>

Comment

Actinic's FTP is extraordinarily inefficient wasting time opening closing sessions and setting permissions file by file

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Marci, I wondered the same thing, but as both machine are on the same switch I assume that it would be ftp'ing across the LAN. Also I tested by disconnected the ADSL modem from the switch so there is no longer an internet connection, and I can still ping the target machine from the source machine. The source machine is a dual CPU server with 1 GB of RAM and the target is similar.

THe FTP log shows the speed at 74 KBps. I started an upload about 10PM last night. When I went to bed it was still going. It is now 11AM the next morning and it is still going. I thought it had hung but it seems that it has simply slowed to a crawl, it is presently on the "purging files" section. The FTP log says it has transferred 4567 Kb so far. So next I may try Norman's suggestion and see if I have any better luck, thanks for that suggestion Norman.

paulh, given the above it would seem I have to agree with you.
          Regards, Tom

Comment

Working...
          X