No announcement yet.

Actinic PHP / Randomising Products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I know this thread is 4 years old - but, just out of interest, are we anywhere nearer to a version of Actinic with MySql db capability?
    still thinking of one...

Comment

Hi,

We have just launched Actinic Express which is an entry level php solution with a MySQL database backend. There is more information about this here or here.

I'm afraid that I have no more information of version of the Catalog with MySQL capabilites apart from the fact that it isn't included in v8.
      Tracey
      SellerDeck

Comment

Quick note for the Actinic Developers...

Although there are a number of discussions (especially in this thread) regarding the use of PHP or ASP...

But the one point that seems to be more or less unanymous is we all would like to see Actinic DITCH PERL!!!
        Quick note from the Actinic Developers... :-)

Seeing Tracey's post it looks like we have heard you before you have said anythng. :-)
        Zoltan
        Actinic Software
        www.actinic.co.uk

Comment

Funny, was just thinking about the possibility of a PHP version earlier today. PHP gets my vote. ASP cuts out the non Windows servers; limits the market for a new format of Actinic.

Bob
          Supporting the environment. This post uses 100% recycled electrons.
          Bob Isaac
          Director/Web Admin
          Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Actinic MS Business Version 8.5.2

Comment

ASP cuts out the non Windows servers
            This is not true. It is possible to run ASP on Apache using an add-in module.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Yes, but I have heard that it does not always run well. We have a leased G4 Proliant running RHESL-4 and any add-ons not tested/approved could break the warranty. At the moment I cannot upgrade beyond PHP 4.3.9 and MySQL 4.1.12 without compromising warranty etc.

Bring back two Ovaltine cans and a long piece of cord...

Bob
              Bob Isaac
              Director/Web Admin
              Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Comment

It is possible to run ASP on Apache using an add-in module
                You don't get the MicroSoft compatible implementation of ASP. Only the possibility to embed Perl statments in your HTML in an ASP / PHP like way.

Here's a note from the Apache::ASP docs.

NOTE: Apache::ASP only supports ASP code already written in Perl. To use Apache::ASP with NT/Windows/IIS ASP pages written in VBScript, the ASP code must be rewritten in Perl.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

mod_mono supports ASP.NET on apache and ModVB supports ASP/VBscript and Jscript. Have not got the time to trial them at the moment.
                  Bill
                  www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                  Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                  BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                  Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                  VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                  Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyG
                    Hi,

We have just launched Actinic Express which is an entry level php solution with a MySQL database backend. There is more information about this here or here.

I'm afraid that I have no more information of version of the Catalog with MySQL capabilites apart from the fact that it isn't included in v8.
                    It does not sound as if you are planning a CGI > PHP conversion for v7/v8 Business and Developer.

Bob
                    Bob Isaac
                    Director/Web Admin
                    Volvo Owners Club Ltd

Comment

That's correct Bob. We will be sticking with CGI for v8.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyG
                        Hi,

We have just launched Actinic Express which is an entry level php solution with a MySQL database backend.

Isn't included in v8?!?!? - why not?

I took a quick look at Actinic Express, thought to myself, "Ahh.. that's what's meant by 'Entry Level'", and immediately checked back out - Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but I prefer the PC based Actinic idea much better..

What are the chances of there being some kind of an upgrade, a plug-in which can translate from a MySQL DB to CGI, or something similar in the future?
                        still thinking of one...

Comment

What are the chances of there being some kind of an upgrade, a plug-in which can translate from a MySQL DB to CGI, or something similar in the future?
                          It's interesting. I had a customer on the phone yesterday desperate for the reassurance that v8 wouldn't become a MySQL online database.

An online database is a logical step for Actinic to take, as it allows so many more flexible features in the online store, that we simple cannot achieve with an offline solution at the minute. So all I can say is that we are thinking about it at the moment. Watch this space.

Comment

Working...
                          X