separate pcs for orders and content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

separate pcs for orders and content

I have a customer using version 7 of actinic. They regularly update their product section, but would like me to maintain the product updating for them, but still maintain the order processing area themselves.

What I'm asking here is can content be updated on one pc, whilst orders are downloaded and processed on another pc? Consecutively.... ie, I can continue to update the products, without the need for sending snapshots backwards and forwards each time?

Tried asking the question to Actinic Support but they very helpfully have stopped supporting Version 7 - happy days!

Thanks

Well, it's certainly possible but it's not without its pitfalls.

1) if they process any offline orders or offline additions to orders, their product/content database won't be up to date and they may not have the products in their installation to add/order.

2) Likewise for price changes.

3) Shipping settings won't be up to date in their installation (again, only really a factor with offline ordering or editting/adding to existing orders)

TBH, it's certainly do-able. We do it. Albeit on V9.(If you were on V8/9, there'd be marketing list issues too)

The only problems arise when the order processing machine is doing offline orders really as its products in Actinic are not up to date
    Tracey

Comment

Thanks Tracey

I don't think the offline orders thing would cause any problems as they don't monitor stock using Actinic - everything comes from a supplier and they're only selling specific items each month - hence wanting me to maintain the product area.

I'm assuming all I need to do is change the options in "Business Settings" for each Actinic on each PC so that one only allows 'order processing' while the other has everything else ticked?

Thanks again
      Lou

Comment

I do this on several sites and it works a treat. Just swap over and sync up the databases once in a while (depending on how busy the site is) and you should be OK.

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I didn't specifically mean stock monitoring as the issue (stock monitoring would actually be a show stopper!) but simply having the products listed could be an issue if they are taking offline orders.

eg. You add a product to the website. It is in your Actinic but not theirs.
          Customer rings up your client wanting to order the new product. Client does not have it on their system to add to the order.

Like I said, only a problem if they take offline orders.
          Tracey

Comment

Did v7 have the dreaded MOTO ability?

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
              How time flies. Yes it did, sort of - Offline Orders, with horrendous reference numbers. (Not much changes)

Tracey is entirely correct, and I would add, if you are using Customer Accounts, these will be out of date as well.

If the product code doesn't change, the price doesn't change, and you don't use 'accounts', you'll be fine.
              Paul
              Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                I thought you'd only just upgraded from the V7 bunker
                Or maybe I'm getting confused with the 8.0.0.0.0.0.0.½ bunker
                Tracey

Comment

we run split sites too - we dont take offline orders, or need stock control.

the orders machine simply downloads orders and processes.

we take snapshot from orders machine everynow and again to import orders to dev to update also boughts etc

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
                    I thought you'd only just upgraded from the V7 bunker
                    Or maybe I'm getting confused with the 8.0.0.0.0.0.0.½ bunker
                    The money earning site is on v8.5... better the bugs you know

I have never used the offline ordering and always kill the MOTO tab... I know there are sharks in the water so not about to take a swim!

Bikster

Comment

Working...
                    X