Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

redesigning site as site2

Hi

Is it possible to create another site next to the existing one so that I can redesign and then replace the existing with the new one. Its just that we need to update daily and I would be a long time with creating the new replacement.

Seems an obvious question but I do not want to loose any of the existing site by playing with it.
    Thanks

Roy

To do this, take a snapshot of your site, then create a new site and import the snapshot. You will need a second license for Actinic to create the new site though.

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

If you've a spare computer it might be easier to install the same version of Actinic (patched to the same level as the existing) onto it.

Then copy your Site1 from the live system over the demo Site1. Also duplicate the info in Housekeeping / Security - do this via copying and pasting to a textfile.

Now you can test away on the test system and copy Site1 back to the main system and do a refresh when it's time to go live.
      Watch out as you will lose any recent orders though as you'll get the ones from the original copy.

Another thing worth setting up on your test system is the Standalone server (as documented in the Advanced Guide). This way you can fully test as though you were on a live system.

Norman
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the replys.

Gives me a couple of useful options to think about.

Regards
        Roy

Comment

Hi again

My other half has just suggested putting actinic in a separate partition on the hard drive. We have this one divided already. Running XP in one and ME in the other.

Is that possible.

Regards
          Roy

Comment

Yes, they will have separate registries on the two partitions so this should work fine.

Comment

Along those lines you can also use tools such as VMWare to install virtual machines (I do this for my report development as this requires the Actinic database to be exactly the same version as the customer). You can then install your catalog in the virtual machine and just toggle between that and the live system. Much the same as you will be doing with the partitions but a bit easier to switch between the two systems.

Regards,
              Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
              Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
              A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
              Product Mash for Sellerdeck
              Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
              Multichannel order processing
              Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
              X