Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

../acatalog/../acatalog

is it a problem that i can type:
    www .mywebsite.com/acatalog/ ../acatalog/ ../acatalog/ ../acatalog/ ../acatalog/webpage.html
    (without the spaces obviously, i have put them in so the link isnt shortend) and still access the contents of webpage.html?

how is that working if i type the above url? surely that should save cannot find server?

next problem is i searched google for mysite, clicked a link from google search results and its taken me to a really old page that i used to have on my website years ago!
    i can actually navigate around most of the links on this old version of my site. many of the links once clicked switch me to my current site (i guess becuase this is where i have updated a page and kept the same page.html file name).

again how has this happened? i thought actinic was meant to search out old files on my hosts server and remove them if they are not used by actinic anymore?

i thought actinic was meant to search out old files on my hosts server and remove them if they are not used by actinic anymore?
    Nope.

It can't really do this as you could have all kinds of other files there that you don't want deleting. You have to delete them yourself.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

is it a problem that i can type: www .mywebsite.com/acatalog/ ../acatalog/
      No. Everyone can do this sort of thing. In file path terminology .. means move up a level in the directory structure. So you're saying something like:

mywebsite.com/acatalog/ (move into the acatalog directory)
      .. (move up a level - back to mywebsite.com)
      /acatalog/ (move into the acatalog directory)
      .. (move up a level - back to mywebsite.com)
      /acatalog/ (move into the acatalog directory)
      etc.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

next problem is i searched google for mysite, clicked a link from google search results and its taken me to a really old page that i used to have on my website years ago!
        i can actually navigate around most of the links on this old version of my site. many of the links once clicked switch me to my current site (i guess becuase this is where i have updated a page and kept the same page.html file name).
        Do as Mike says, ftp to the site and remove all the old html pages. Then set up a 404 error doc to forward all "Page not Found" to the index page of the new site. Over time these old pages will then be dropped.

If you cant identify all the old pages, a quick and dirty solution is to remove all html and follow this with a site refresh.

Comment

ok so i have had a quick look on google for how to setup a 404 error doc to forward all page not found links to my homepage but i havnt managed to find a sound guide to tell me how to does this.

i did test with a single page using <meta http-equiv="refresh"> tag but i have read articles saying that this is used by spam pages and can get you banned from google which is obviously not what i want!!

anyone have a guide to setup 404 error doc?
          does it matter that my host is namesco?

Comment

if its unix/linux server then htaccess is your option

ErrorDocument 404 /notfound.html

Comment

Working...
            X