VAT not calculating correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT not calculating correctly

I'm building my first site and I have VAT turned on for VAT inclusive prices but when I preview VAT is added to the retail price!

Anyone have an idea what's going wrong.
    Ph: 0845 838 1 839

Hi Duncan
    The program seems to have been designed more for B2B who tend to list products net plus VAT, rather than shops (like ourselves and presumely you) who sell and dispaly goods at VAT inclusive prices. Unfortunately, you simply have to calculate your prices net of VAT, and enter like this, as Actinic will add VAT to the price you enter (as you have discovered). If anyone knows different, I'd also be interested.

Comment

Thanks for the post.

I find this very strange as it was working before.

I have Design, Option, Miscellaneous panel up and the box is clearly offered as VAT ex or inc as required. Mine is set to inclusive but still reads vat inc on the preview adding vat. If I go ex vat it reads ex vat but shows the vat inc price correctly.

I thing it odd that if it was designed to offer these options it should work so oddly.

Comment

If you enter prices into Actinic without VAT then if you select 'Display Tax Exclusive Prices', Actinic will display the prices as you entered them into the software i.e. exclusive of VAT.

If you select 'Display Tax Inclusive Prices' then Actinic will calculate the VAT and add it onto your prices in the store pages, to give you the price including VAT.

Comment

Thank you, makes things a little clearer.

Perhaps a retail option would be helpful as a suggestion. Clicking keeps the price entered as is without modification.

Comment

Chris
            We have retail outlet (our main source of business), with the internet site a supplementary source of sales. In the retail environment, you have to display prices inclusive of VAT. In order to enter vatable goods into actinic we therefore have to work backwards from retail to get the selling price exclusive of VAT, which is an extra hassle. I think what Duncan is asking for (and we would find useful too), is the option of entering VAT inclusive prices at retail, and leaving the software to track the VAT as required for reporting purposes. The way things work at present also creates confusion for the end customer, who sees a product listed at a VAT inclusive price on the site, yet have it listed at a net price on their invoice, with VAT added at the end. This is fine for B2B, as we are used to seeing our invoices from suppliers like this, but imagine say doing your supermarket shopping - seeing coffee on the shelf at £3.99 a jar, but when you checked your receipt it was listed at £3.39 (with a combined total of VAT at the end). It would be interesting to hear how many users operate in a retail market as opposed to B2B.

Comment

Thank you Martin,

Retail in the UK and as I know it most of the EU and from my experience Australia and New Zeland work tax inclusive for retail. However the USA work just how Actinic works tax exempt. This allows for their local and federal taxes to be applied.

Personally, if we worked this way the retail public would be better informed as to what they are paying to the government. So I'm electing to show the tax exempt price and the inclusive price on the page.

Thanks for everyones help with this. I'm off to upload to test now with Protx. Unless anyone else has any thoughts on this aspect of service provider.

Comment

Hi Duncan did not know it was possible to display both inclusive and exclusive prices. can you tell me how you achieve this please?

Thanks
                www.satellite.ie

Comment

It works like this Tony in V5.1.3 Developer.

Design, Option, Miscellaneous

There are check boxes for VAT inc and exc, click both.

On preview you will see the nett price in large print and smaller inclusive price with it's identifier as inclusive of VAT @ the appropriate rate.

Regards

Duncan

Comment

Thanks Duncan
                    www.satellite.ie

Comment

Working...
                    X