Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

digital download of license key, not file

Hi,
    not quite sure if this is at all possible.. please help.. We are using Actinic Catalog to sell our software on the web. Sofar people can download a trial version and when they want the real thing we would ship a physical copy. However, we would now like to support digital download of a license key. Could anyone tell me if thats at all possible, do I need a different version of Actinic for it?
    Thanks,
    andres

Maybe Chris or someone else from Actinic can answer this one.

I have tried to implement this but was told Actinic could not handle it.

This is my question. When buying a license you are given an autorisation key.

Does it matter that many people use the same key as they have each purchased a license?

I wanted to sell Actinic like this
    Owner of a broken heart

Comment

I sell software and I allow anyone to download the software but then manually ship the license key. This because each of my license keys are unique and by looking at a key I can see which customer owns it - I think that this is fairly standard.

For me the two stage process is important because it gives you a chance to check out the buyer before sending the key.

The thing with software is that many people seem to think that they should be able to use software for free and that it is quite ok to pirate software, so I think that fraud is quite high in this area of ecommerce. I personally would not ship licenses automatically - I think it is asking for trouble.

In answer to the original question, you can only use digital download to ship the same file to everyone that buys the product so you cannot use it to ship unique license keys.

Regards,
      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
      Multichannel order processing
      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Hi Gary,
        thanks for this. Yes in our case we want each customer to have his own license key.. I was thinking along the lines of either generating these on the fly or providing a file with the license keys in them.
        Andres

Comment

You cant provide a file as this can be bought by more than one person.

Depending on volume some of Jans' automaton tools might help.

e.g. you can put 10 keys on the site with a max order 1 item and stock of 1 item.

If you set to download orders every 1 minute then you might get away with it.
          Owner of a broken heart

Comment

You would be better off emailing the key to them, you could have something running on the backend that emailed the key out when an order came in - you could do something based on the email you receive from your PSP (something like email it out now if the payment went through without a caution status) otherwise email out a generic 'you will receive your key within 24 hours type of thing'. It's something that would need a bit of custom work on the PC I think.

Regards,
            Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
            Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
            A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
            Product Mash for Sellerdeck
            Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
            Multichannel order processing
            Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Hi Jan,
              yes, that sounds like an excellent idea.. I could indeed just fire off a script when the email confirming the cc payment is received and have this script send out the license key.... great.
              Andres

Comment

You can also do some customisation of the digital download script to ship unique product keys. But some heavy customisation would be required for that.

Regards,
                Zoltan
                Actinic Software
                www.actinic.co.uk

Comment

Is that an offer Zoltan
                  Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Actually I'm working on an offer what I have received from Actinic a few years back. I'm not sure this allows anything else on this field (especailly if I take a look on v7 schedule ).

Regards
                    Zoltan
                    Actinic Software
                    www.actinic.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X