Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Embedding search results into fixed page...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embedding search results into fixed page...?

(V7 only)

Is it possible to embed the actinic search results into a page? Let me explain why...

Rather than have a search box that lets the user enter a search term, I want to provide several pre-defined searches where they would click a link to perform a set search - ie. A link for "Search for all red items" would perform a search for all items with red in the description, or "Search for all XXL clothes", or "Search for all jumpers".

I think I can do this by replicating the search string with "red" in the appropriate place, but that would take me to the standard 'search results' page.

The problem with that is that it is not optimised for SEO. I want the link to go to a specific page, where I can set the title/metatags/template/page text and then have the results displayed on that page.

Is there anyway to do that...?
    John

Build the pages and put the relevant products on them and then link to those pages would be the actinic way of doing that, using product duplicates.

Comment

yeah, that's what I did last time. The only downside is having to update each page when new products are added (or old ones removed). Just wondered if there was a better way.
      John

Comment

There are better ways in later versions, but not with the ark i'm afraid, not that i know of anyway. Have a look for Norman's search results hack and see if it can be made to work on V7 or does indeed already work on V7. That way you can have dynamic search strings, presenting products as normal. Still crap for SEO, but a better thing for your users nevertheless.

Comment

You can pre-create search URLs and have them as links on your pages. Won't that help?

The URL required is of the form:
          Code:
          http://www.mydomain.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?SS=searchwordhere&PR=-1&TB=A&SHOP=

Comment

Come on Duncan, RTFP lol .

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
              Come on Duncan, RTFP lol .
              Oh bu**er - been a long day, painting and fixing cupboards - not used to physical labour, it's obviously taxed my brain.

I suppose there's no point in mentioning that he could place duplicates in sections then.

Comment

painting and fixing cupboards
                Enjoying the bank holiday Duncan?

Comment

Working...
                X