SMTP settings stored in what file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP settings stored in what file?

I'm trying to chase down a problem where I changed the smtp server settings from one email server to another and from one username to another.

My site all works fine. Orders can be downloaded, products can be updated. The only issue I'm having is being able to change mail server settings (and the username the mail settings use). I can test the new mail settings in the Actinic program, but when I look in the error log file on the web site, it's failing while trying to use the old smtp server settings and username.

Just wondering if anyone knows where these settings are stored on the website? I'm not opposed to manually entering them.

In access, it's one of the setup tables that holds network settings.

Comment

Sorry, I meant on the web site. Everything locally seems to work fine, however, the customer receipt doesn't get emailed. I did find the .pl on the website that contains the settings, however, they're encoded so that won't help me any.

Here's the error I'm getting in the log. Maybe someone could give me a suggestion on how go about fixing this?

Program = ORDERSCR, Program version = 486 , HTTP Server = Microsoft-IIS/6.0 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2010/06/03 18:30, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (4: <oldemailaddress@mydomain.com> No such user here )

Here's the history:
      1) Had actinic working on old host.
      Email settings:
      Display email address: store@mydomain.com
      SMTP Server: mail1.mydomain.com
      Auth email address: oldemailaddress@mydomain.com

2) Switched web hosts. Moved site to new host. Actinic working fine. Only change is smtp server.
      Email settings:
      SMTP Server: mail2.mydomain.com
      Auth email address: oldemailaddress@mydomain.com

3) Need to switch smtp server to mail.mydomain.com and auth email address to automated-server-message@mydomain.com. Display email address is still store@mydomain.com. So new settings should look like this:
      Email settings:
      SMTP Server: mail.mydomain.com
      Auth email address: automated-server-message@mydomain.com

4) When I test from inside Actinic using the network settings Test button, everything works fine.

5) When a customer orders something, they get no emailed receipt. Instead, I get the following error in the error.err file:

Program = ORDERSCR, Program version = 486 , HTTP Server = Microsoft-IIS/6.0 , Return code = 999 , Date and Time = 2010/06/03 18:30, Internal Errors = Error returned from SMTP server (4: <oldemailaddress@mydomain.com> No such user here )

So, in the error message above where it says "No such user here", it shouldn't even be trying to use that user. It should be trying to use automated-server-message@mydomain.com, NOT oldemailaddress@mydomain.com.

Anybody seen this before? Have any idea how to go about solving this? I have some custom programming done, so I'm hesitant to do anything drastic like wipe everything out and reupload. As I said, everything else is working fine. I can download orders, upload updated products, etc.

Comment

Have you tried using "localhost" ... that resolves a lot of email issues.

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

ya.. same error message. It appears the smtp server name change is taking, it's just the authenicating username that's not.

Comment

You don't need to authenticate with "localhost"

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

3) Need to switch smtp server to mail.mydomain.com and auth email address to automated-server-message@mydomain.com. Display email address is still store@mydomain.com. So new settings should look like this:
              Email settings:
              SMTP Server: mail.mydomain.com
              Auth email address: automated-server-message@mydomain.com
              I dont think you can do this...

As Jont says try localhost without auth ticked

or

use SMTP mail.yourdomain.co.uk
              auth ticked with the same email address in auth and business settings

any automated server message will need to be handled by your email settings on your ISP/host control panel rather than by actinic

Comment

I ended up tracing the issue back to the SMTP server on the web host. I decided not to waste any more time with it and pointed actinic to use our exchange server. My original thought that actinic wasn't updating the website's smtp settings was incorrect. It was getting updated. And when I changed to a different smtp server, everything worked fine. I'm going to go with this setup.

Our exchange server is going away in the future since we've switched to google apps, but for now it works and I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I'm going to do a quick search and then I may start a new thread asking if it's possible to use google apps as an smtp server in actinic.

Comment

Hi Snakeroot,
                  Did you look into using Google Apps as your SMTP server?
                  I have the same issue after a switch of hosts and am deciding what to do about it.
                  Dorian.
                  Dorian
                  ------
                  www.itmustbegreen.co.uk
                  Fair-Trade & Eco-Friendly

Comment

Hey Dorian,

I tried every which way, but couldn't get it to work by directly using google apps as the mail server. So, what I ended up doing was setting up an SMTP relay using the built in SMTP server that comes with Windows. (I looked into setting up a linux SMTP relay, but I ended up going the Windows route since it was not nearly as involved or complicated.)

I had other software inside my firewall that needed to send email, but wasn't able to be configured for TLS like Google requires. So, I setup the mail relay so that any email that sends to this relay is accepted, then forwards to google's email server using one particular account's login information. So, what you get is an email from <whatevernameyouwant>@yourdomainname.com that was authenticated to google through <anactualexistingemailaddress>@yourdomain.com. Once I got that working inside the firewall, I simply opened up port 25 on the router for traffic coming ONLY from my web server's IP address (where Actinic resides).

The only email that comes directly from my web server to my router is mail from actinic. For forms and any other email sending abilities unrelated to Actinic on my website, I have an asp script that connects directly to Google Apps mail server using TLS.

Hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks - I'll give that a go!
                      Dorian
                      ------
                      www.itmustbegreen.co.uk
                      Fair-Trade & Eco-Friendly

Comment

Working...
                      X