Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propping up V6 Actinic SSL on a new host...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propping up V6 Actinic SSL on a new host...

A legacy customer currently uses V6 Catalog with Actinic SSL on W98. Yes, yes, I know... :-(

For several reasons the web site was relocated onto a new host yesterday. The site successfully uploaded onto the new space, however we're now getting the dreaded General Script Error during checkout - this after a fresh upload of a small Actinic site onto an empty host.

I half suspect it's the legacy Actinic Shared SSL setup needing reconfiguring to point to the new host (?), or, it's maybe a firewall on the new server blocking the Actinic server callback. Mod_security is known to do that...

Meantime I've refreshed the site to no avail. Actinic can't (won't) help because it's V6, even though it's the annual (soon to die) SSL that I think is the problem, not the software itself.

The web site will shortly be taken round the back and shot, followed by myself, if it can't be made to accept CC orders some way or other (Paypal in V6 under Windows 98 anybody?).

Putting SSL on Checkout pages Only, doesn't work because it's only Actinic Catalog, not Business (an Actinic gotcha). I could maybe try to run the entire site under SSL though, if I can get the ISP to add a secure certificate to our space.

Anyways, I'm stuck. It worked before (for years) but doesn't now... if anyone has their own thoughts I'd welcome someone brightening a very gloomy day...

Alan
    (eating probably his last meal)

If Actinic won't help re shared SSL you shouldconsider a normal SSL just to get the site working.

Paypal will work in v6

Actinic doesn't care if it's catalog or business - both will work with ssl on checkout only.

Plan A remove all SSL and get site working with paypal

Plan B remove shared ssl and install full ssl

Plan C sign up with a psp and get pci compliant

Comment

Forgot to say the General Script error may not be related to payment type - remove all payment methods except cash to prove cgi works.

Is the new host a proven actinic host

Who is it and what are your network settings

Comment

A million thanks :-)

Agreed about Paypal - will be on the case.

Have been checking out full SSL options. Am offered a blanket (free) SSL hosted at the core which they claim can be remapped to our domain name, or, we can purchase a certificate. Whether I can nail it into Actinic I'm not sure.

I'll try yr advice and see if we can run the Checkout only under their free, or our own, SSL. Doing that next.

The hosting (I discovered by way of the IPS tag change) seems to be Heart Internet, the local provider is a local vendor called Consega. No I wouldn't say they were a proven Actinic host.

[blah -- deleted]

ftp is Ok (once I unlocked the IP address in the cpanel...)

it passes the network test OK and uploads OK.

PCI DSS - agreed, compliance is currently being worked on.

Back soon - thanks again!

Comment

Job done

Eventually managed to use the 'blanket' (free) SSL that covers the server, but configuring it in V6 was a major fiddle as we actually run the catalog under a sub-domain, which is invisible to the cgi-bin. We had to force this to work.

Have to say that Consega in Wimborne were extremely good as our contact was a former Actinic partner (like me), and they mapped the SSL to cover our site. They went to great lengths to support us, and it isn't as though we're paying high-end prices.

Pleased to learn here (grateful thanks) that Catalog does work OK with order processing only under SSL, the software stated this was Business Only but it was fibbing.

The result is a lightning-fast cost-free SSL on checkout that will keep the show on the road for now. Actinic loaded instantly without missing a beat.

Thanks again for your input!

Alan
          (feeling happier)

Comment

The result is a lightning-fast cost-free SSL on checkout that will keep the show on the road for now.
            Only just. Capturing the card details on your site is unlikely to be PCI compliant and you really need to fix this now (it should have been done over a year ago).

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I had a belated follow-up from Actinic tech support, who reckoned the original General Script Error would be a permissions problem on the new server. We'll never know, and being left in the lurch we set up our own SSL instead.

Yes PCI DSS compliance is being addressed here as I speak (type). It's been threatened for 3 years or more, but with such inconsistent noises coming out of the industry it's been very hard to decide what would suffice and what wouldn't pass.

It is only now that the industry requirements are gaining broad agreement and understanding. I think that they are still taking a softly-softly approach for now but it will tighten considerably over the next year or more, a bit like complying with ISO9000.

I've got physical office procedures and retail stores as well as virtual ones (CNP/ MOTO) to handle too. :-(

Alan

Comment

Working...
              X