Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Merging files failed" on Web Update - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Merging files failed" on Web Update - why?

You might remember my previous thread asking ways to get Actinic working with new hosts 1and1.co.uk. The saga improved and then degenerated again!

Initially I created 3 subdirectories within the root of my host: acatalog, cgi-bin and siteHTML ready for Actinic to upload to (as followed from instructions on this forum). Actinic firstly worked ok and the site was fine, but a few days later after updating Actinic locally (basic product changes) the update now always fails at the merge process saying "merging files failed". No other detail is given! What does this mean please, and any idea why it's failing when it didn't before?

I try both Update and Refresh - same thing happening. Also tried FTPing the files manually, which does work....but I'm actually not exactly directories to upload where, because since I tried that the font size gets smaller and the site gets set to "offline" which means no baskets are shown for customers to purchase. I guess I've uploaded all files including the default settings to cause this.

If Actinic's updates keep failing, how exactly should I FTP the files onto the server to get it working?

Many thanks

a) you won't have read anywhere to create a folder called 'sitehtml', that's not required, just cgi-bin and acatalog with the relevant permissions on the server
    b) you cannot manually ftp anything that is integral to the application, actinic MUST do it all
    c) what are the results when you do a network test?
    d) post your network settings if the test fails (removing all passwords)
    e) increment the script number by 1 and do a website purge and refresh from the troubleshooting menu once all of the above have been completed and pass the test
    f) a database compact is always a good way to blow out the cobwebs from the application
    g) hundreds if not thousands use 1&1, so as long as you have the correct hosting package with them, there is a minimum spec package you require, you can be sure that it is something either wrong with your database/application, unfortunately support for this version was dropped some time ago so you have no actinic support available - you may be forced to upgrade to get said support if all else fails. This is a good idea anyway.

Comment

Firstly don't try and upload manually only do it through Actinic. You also don't need the SiteHTML folder created on the server - Actinic will not upload to it and it is not required.

When an upload has taken place a list of files is created in Actinic and checked against those online with a script. When done it says Merge Completed. Sometimes (rarely mind, but more likely in older versions of Actinic) this doesn't complete in the allowed time so it says it has failed, it doesn't mean that the files didn't actually get uploaded.

Chances are your site is all working correctly. If that is the case then don't worry - I have heard of people experiencing this for a few days and then everything is normal again. If you see that something is not working correctly or files are missing then first do a network test and check for errors.

Sorry - didn't see Lee's post before typing my reply.

Comment

I must say a big thanks to both Lee and Drounding. If you were closer I'd actually give you a big kiss at this precise moment, so think yourselves lucky you're only on screen.

I recreated the said directories from scratch, Network tested and it worked, then purged and refreshed. It worked! Site was available to view perfectly on /acatalog subdirectory so I've just changed the "home" directory on the host to the /acatalog directory. www.sapphire-blue.co.uk should then work once it's propogated if my thinking is correct?

Comment

In 1and1 the domain should point to the parent of acatalog, not acatalog.

BTW a hug is ok but kisses are pushing it.

Comment

it does not seem to be working for me, add to basket gives a 404 so does the menu

Comment

If the root is now pointing to acatalog then that would explain why it's not working.

Comment

Yep something still not right, your pages all seem to 404 apart from brochure pages which you seem to have omitted from sitting within the acatalog folder.

Site home page sits in root and then you have 2 folders one for acatalog and one for cgi-bin. Get the network test to see all that and let actinic upload it all.

Comment

Hmmm strange, I've reset the domain home back to root dir now but the holding page still shows. Network test is successful and index.html is also in the root dir.

however, when I open www.sapphire-blue.co.uk/acatalog the site still seems to work fine with all the links and baskets.

Comment

Did you name your homepage as index.html or something diferrent? If different then you would expect this.

Comment

All the links to Home link to acatalog/index.html and the link to Shop links to acatalog/shop.html (through the cgi-bin)

I would have expected Home to link to index.html in the root directory?
                      Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
                      SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
                      Based in rural Northants

Comment

I'm lost....what am I doing wrong? Whatever I seem to do I can't get the site visible on www.sapphire-blue.co.uk but IS visible on the /acatalog extension. I thought I'd been through every setting changing links back to the root, even in the Act_brochures.

Comment

Do you have a home page within the content tree, if so change some content on it and then change it back to foce an upload of the page. If not, then you need to create one. Brochure page tutorial on my site if you are a little unsure on how it works and how it should look.

Comment

Are you trying to run yourstore at the root rather than within acatalog folder?

If so there are instructions somewhere detailing how to change the database to shift everything up one level. It's quite straightforward.

Comment

I think I'm getting confused between running the site at root or within /acatalog. I guess I've changed some settings and mixed the two together, but as I don't want to go changing the database (prefer to keep changes to a minimum) I wonder what to do now to run the site from /acatalog? I only have index.html in the root...no other home page.

I've attached the Network Settings (which do pass the test).

Many thanks,

Carl
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X