Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nortree question

Hi there,
    Here's a wierd thing. I'm using Nortree which has been working fine up until yesterday. I checked my site at 800x600 and noticed that the menu covers the text on the home page. I opened Nortree to check if it was set on auto size and got the message that Nortree couldn't find the config file in my site 1 folder.

I opened nortree and the colours that show on the borders/fonts/colours tab are the default Nortree colours and not the colours that show on my menu. However, my menu is still functioning. Where else is the configuration for my colours sizes etc i'm using stored?

I was going to change to Norcascade and use the settings from Nortree so i don't have to stuff around to much in getting the menu sizes/colour the way i want.

Also if i uninstall nortree will that remove the manually entered info in ACT primary etc?? or will it be ok to leave it there?

Cheers,

Jacy
    Jacys Computer Supplies
    Web: http://www.jacyscomputers.com.au
    email: sales@jacyscomputers.com.au

Have you more than one site? NorTree uses the current Actinic site (or the last one opened by Actinic). It should only use the defaullts if there's no nortree_config.ini in your last used Site folder.

If not that had you made any other changes? Either in Actinic or NorTree?

As to removing Nortree - you'll have to edit out the changes to Act_Primary.html (and possibly Act_Brochure_Primary.html) by hand. That's pretty easy as it's all in one place (just after the <BODY...> tag.

You put some similar code in there for NorCascade so you'll really be replacing one bit with another.

Norman

p.s. The core DHTML code in NorCascade comes from New Zealand - just over the road from you.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

HI Norman,
      I've only got 1 site. I checked my site 1 folder and Nortree folder for the config file and it's not there. All i want is to get the colours,fonts and the sizes so i can transfer that info to Norcascade. It took me ages to get it how I wanted it and finding the right colours.

Is there any benefit to using Norcascade rather than Nortree?

Cheers,

Mitch

P.S I love your "little" shack in Edinbrough (did i spell that correctly?)
      Jacys Computer Supplies

Comment

Do "Save Settings" in NorTree and it should save nortree_config.ini in Site1. Run NorTree again and it should pick up those settings.

Let me know if the file isn't being written and also what version of NorTree (it's in the Title Bar) you're using.

As to the differences there aren't many. The DHTML behind NorCascade is more modern and supports some more animation type effects (dropshadows, fade-in/out, etc).

Norman

Comment

Hi Norman,
          I have Nortree 1.09. I saved vars and did a preview no menu showed although it did say "building menus" and I had the following 2 errors
          1)Line: 27
          Char: 5
          Error: 'MinHeight' is undefined
          Code: 0
          URL: file://C:\Program Files\Actinic Ecommerce v6\Sites\Site1\PreviewHTML\P_Index.html

2) Line: 492
          Char: 2
          Error: 'Menu1' is undefined
          URL: file://C:\Program Files\Actinic Ecommerce v6\Sites\Site1\PreviewHTML\P_Index.html

I opened nortree again and nothing was saved.

Cheers,

Jacy
          Jacys Computer Supplies

Comment

Is there a file "nortree_config.ini" in Site1?

Also check that you've not changed the code that goes into Act_Primary.html (just after the <BODY...> tag. Post that bit of code here so I can see.

Also post a screenshot of NorTree.

Norman

Comment

Hi Norman,
              I double checked the code and even re entered it into Act_Primary. Yes there is a nortree config file in my site 1 folder. It says the same as nortree (default settings) I created vars and saved but it didn't do any good.

</BODY><!-- START NorTree Act_Primary.html patch -->
              <!-- start of optional speed up fragment - redefining actiniccore.js's CreateArray to skip creating unused entries -->
              <script type='text/javascript'>
              function CreateArray(n)
              {
              this.length = n;
              for (var i=1; i <= n; i++) this[i] = new Object();
              return this;
              }
              </script>
              <!-- end of optional speed up fragment -->
              <script language=JavaScript>var LoggedIn = true;</script>
              <Actinic:NOTINB2B>
              <script language=JavaScript>var LoggedIn = false;</script>
              </Actinic:NOTINB2B>
              NETQUOTEVAR:SECTIONTREE_NAMES
              NETQUOTEVAR:SECTIONTREE_URLS
              <script type='text/javascript'>
              //HV Menu- by Ger Versluis (http://www.burmees.nl/)
              //Submitted to Dynamic Drive (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
              //Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com for this script and more
              // Norman Rouxel ( rouxel@attglobal.net ) amended to work with Actinic netquotevar based section structure
              function Go(){return}
              </script>
              <script type="text/javascript" src="nortree_menu_var.js"></script>
              <script type="text/javascript" src="nortree_menu_create.js"></script>
              <script type="text/javascript" src="nortree_menu_com.js"></script>
              <noscript>Your browser does not support script</noscript>
              <!-- END NorTree Act_Primary.html patch -->
              </HTML>
              <!-- Primary HTML end -->

Cheers,

Mitch
              Attached Files
              Jacys Computer Supplies

Comment

Hi again Norman,
                Just thought i'd mention the only thing i did was change my resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600. it was as the resolution was changing that nortree didn't work. In the bottom left of the screen I got the message building menus but nothing happened.

Cheers,

Mitch
                Jacys Computer Supplies

Comment

Mitch,

The Act_Primary.html patch is wrong. You've got it after the </BODY> tag at the end of your page. It should be immediately after the <BODY ......> tag (much higher up). Try moving that code.

I'm still confused as to why nothing is is being written into your Site1 folder. Your screenshot looks OK. Do a Create and see if the date changes on the nortree_menu_var.js in Site1.

Norman

Comment

Hi Norman,
                    I imported a snapshot and when i create a preview the menus work with the code as it is in the attached file. If i open Nortree and click create Vars then preview one of my products the menus won't work I get the error message i mentioned in my earlier post. the date does change in the nortree_menu_var.js in Site1.
                    I copied all of the *.js files from my site 1 folder into the nortree folder and deleted the nortree config file but that didn't help.
                    I tried entering the Nortree code right after <BODY and right before NETQUOTEVAR:BGIMAGE but all that happened was i got a lot of writing at the top of my web pages when i previewed them.

cheers,

Mitch
                    Attached Files
                    Jacys Computer Supplies

Comment

Ahah. You have to put the NorTree stuff after the <BODY...> TAG not after the BODY WORD.

That means after the end of the <BODY...> statement. I.e after the ">" that ends the <BODY...... code.

In your case the <BODY...> statement is

<BODY NETQUOTEVAR:BGIMAGE OnLoad="NETQUOTEVAR:ONLOAD" NETQUOTEVAR:BGCOLOR TEXT="NETQUOTEVAR:FGCOLOR" NETQUOTEVAR:LINKCOLOR NETQUOTEVAR:VLINKCOLOR NETQUOTEVAR:ALINKCOLOR marginwidth="5" marginheight="5">

The NorTree stuff goes in right after all that. If you're using Notepad then it might help look in Format and trurn Word Wrap off so you can see the actual lines as they were typed.

Norman

Comment

Hi again Norman,
                        I moved the code as per your instructions in your last post but to no avail .
                        I can preview the menu on my site but as soon as i open nortree, create vars, then preview my site I get the following 2 errors.

1)Line: 27
                        Char: 5
                        Error: 'MinHeight' is undefined

2) Line: 492
                        Char: 2
                        Error: 'Menu1' is undefined

I have attached nortree_menu_var and my nortree config file, both are from my site 1 folder. I have nortree config in my nortree folder and my site 1 folder and both are the same.
                        Any ideas as to what may have happened Norman?
                        Do i need to do something else to trigger nortree into creating the menu?

Cheers and Thanks for all of your help Norman,

Mitch
                        Attached Files
                        Jacys Computer Supplies

Comment

I'm stumped. It works fine for countless other people.

All I can suggest is (and please do all these steps and in the following sequence) to do the following to make a completely clean re-install of NorTree. You will have to re-do your customisation of NorTree (colours, fonts, etc) but this is the only way I can see to get you back to a working system

Print out the readme.txt in C:\Program Files\NorTree - you'll need to refer to this paper copy after you uninstall NorTree below.

Optionally - print out nortree_config.ini from your Site1 as this will help you configure the re-installed NorTree later. Don't copy the file back in - just the info in it.

Uninstall NorTree (from Contol Panel Add/Remove Programs)
                          Delete all files the start with "nortree" for your Site1 folder.

Delete all file that start with "nortree" for your Site1/PreviewHTML folder.

Remove any patches to Act_Primary.html that you did as per the NorTree readme.

If you were using NorTree in Brochure pages - remove any patches to Act_BrochurePrimary.html that you did as per the NorTree readme.

Check that your site works and previews OK with no menu showing and no JavaScript errors. Let me know if it fails here.

Otherwise re-install:-

Download NorTree from www.rouxel.cwc.net/nortree/NorTree.zip

Unzip this and run the Setup to re-install.

Follow the instructions in the Zipfile's readme.txt exactly (don't use your old readme).

Run NorTree - Create Vars / Save Settings and see if it now works.

Norman

Comment

Again
                            THANK YOU Norman
                            The menu is working now.
                            You help and advice is invaluable.

Cheers,

Mitch
                            Jacys Computer Supplies

Comment

WooHoo! Glad it's fixed. Now you can pop round and tidy my mums garden - she's in Tweed Heads

Norman

Comment

Working...
                              X