Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Editing 1 site on 2 PC's?

Hey all, got an interesting question for u all

At present Ive got 1 Actinic site, but 2 people who need to edit it and am trying to figure out a way to do this without changes one person makes being overwritten by the other.

Is it possible to change the location of the Site1 folder? If so then could I have the Site1 folder on one machine and both machines work from this?

Any ideas?

Hi there,

Actinic at the moment can only be used by a single user and cannot be networked.
    Actinic cannot be used by two users simultaneously, because when a user accesses Actinic the database gets locked within the site1 eliminating other users trying to access the same site database.

Hope the helps
    Thank You
    Menar Khan

Comment

Ok. But what if we didnt want to access it at the same time, just from different pc's?

Would it be possible to have the program installed on 2 different PC's, but both pointing to the same Site1 directory? If that will work will actinic allow you to set a different location for the Site1 dir? Or does it have to be 'program files/actinic/sites/site1'?

Comment

Hi there

Again this is not possible, Actinic at the present moment, is built, so it looks locally on pc. There is no network version of Actinic. I can put your request through on a wishlist for this.

You cannot change the location of the site1 folder I'm afraid

Kind Regards
        Nadeem Rasool
        SellerDeck Development

Comment

Actually you can do this - you have to install Actinic on both PC's to the network location and it will then work on both PC's. Actinic caches a lot of information in the program, so you can still not use both at once without loosing data but if you are very very careful you can edit it on both PC's at different times. I would recommend making one of the PC's the 'master' and doing all of the uploading etc from this PC as some of the settings relating to this are stored in the registry on the PC.

IMHO it is a bit of a dodgy thing to do though, I also don't know how the licensing would work with this setup.

Regards,
          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
          Multichannel order processing
          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

There is one other program that will assist with the updating problem between the two machines. Peersync Pro from here:
            http://www.peersoftware.com/

It really works well, but just be carefull at first. I did not set it up properly the first time I used it and I actually deleted all my files, some of which were unique and I never got them back. Since then they have an option to store the deleted files in a folder that matches the directory structure that they were removed from.

This is what they say about it:

PeerSync is a powerful yet easy to use data management tool that provides you with flexible and reliable File Synchronization, Replication and Backup.

Create and maintain multiple source/target synchronization jobs, each with a completely customizable feature set.
            Real-Time, Scheduled, and Interval synchronization.
            Embedded Open File Manager option for copying open and locked files.
            ByteReplicator Technology allows Byte-level replication of files.
            Bandwidth Throttling, and Multi-Threaded Copying for High Performance File Replication.
            Regards, Tom

Comment

Hi there,
              I have actinic on 2 PCs (networked) both have the site 1 folder under Program files/Actinic/sites/site 1.

I generally export a snapshot and save that to one of my shared folders called backup. I can then access it from both machines. The only problem i have found with this is, if i import the snapshot to the PC that isn't the "master" PC, make changes to the site then upload my changes Actinic hangs and i have to do a refresh of the whole site and not just an update.

You might be best to make changes as you like on both PCs, export your snapshot to one folder and use only the Master PC to upload your changes.

Cheers,

Mitch
              Jacys Computer Supplies
              Web: http://www.jacyscomputers.com.au
              email: sales@jacyscomputers.com.au

Comment

This reminds me of something I'd like to see in the program, the ability to update the site and download orders across a network instead of having to use FTP or do it manually. With more and more small business and web developers starting to use their own in-house webservers it seems like a natural progression for the program to take.
                Regards, Tom

Comment

Working...
                X