username/password combination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

username/password combination

We're setting up an affinity scheme with a number of charities, designed to work like this:
    1) supporters of charity A are informed that when they buy anything from us, if they enter a given username/password when buying from us, the charity gets a kickback.
    2) for other charities etc the process is the same, though each referrring ord has a differing username/password combo
    3) we should then be able to report on sales by referring org. ie
    username1/password1 = xx sales
    username2/password2 = yy sales

Any advice on how best to do this. Please note that I'm not interested in creating accounts for each customer, simply in tracking those users who can identify themselves in this way. This could take place either at the front page or at the checkout.

Thanks in advance.

Hi David,

You could set it up for the customer to enter a username and password in the checkout process by using the 'User Definable' fields.

Go to 'Design | Text' and click on the 'Web Site (cont)' tab and then on the 'General Information' tab and you could use say 'UserDefinable 2' for the username and 'UserDefinable 3' for the password - change the text under the 'prompt' field and click the 'show' checkbox.

To ensure that the password field gives the **** when the user types in their password, edit Act_Order02.html and search for:

<td bgcolor="NETQUOTEVAR:CHECKOUTBG">NETQUOTEVAR:GENERALPROMPT002</td>
    <td bgcolor="NETQUOTEVAR:CHECKOUTBG">
    <input type="TEXT" name="GENERALUSERDEFINED" size="40" maxlength="255" value="NETQUOTEVAR:GENERALUSERDEFINED">
    </td>

change <input type="TEXT" to

<input type="PASSWORD"

Close and save the file and update the site.

When you download the order, these details will then be shown under the 'Misc' tab.

The only problem with this is that on the reports it will display the password in clear text.

Also, the only sales report that would use any of the UserDefinable fields is the 'Transactions by Referrer' report. This uses UserDefinable 3. If that does not give you what you need thenmaybe Jan from Mole-End can help you with this - her contact details can be found here.

I hope this helps.
    Tracey
    SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks for that Tracy; I've amended Act_Order02.html, though I've bundled up username and passowrd together (need to keep my existing 2 Userdefinables.
      Is it possible to have a Userdefinable4, which would let me use your solution?
      Also, can I insert a line of text below my second User Definable; if you go to www.foska.com and get to the checkout stage, you'll see what I mean.
      Thanks
      David

Comment

Hi David,

I'm afraid that you can't add in any more User Definable fields.

To insert an extra line after your second field open Act_Order02.html and search for:

<td bgcolor="NETQUOTEVAR:CHECKOUTBG">NETQUOTEVAR:GENERALPROMPT001</td>
        <td bgcolor="NETQUOTEVAR:CHECKOUTBG">
        <input type="TEXT" name="GENERALWHYBUY" size="40" maxlength="255" value="NETQUOTEVAR:GENERALWHYBUY">
        </td>
        </tr>
        NETQUOTEDEL:GENERALPROMPT001
        NETQUOTEDEL:GENERALPROMPT002

Add the following after this:

<tr><td> text goes here</td></tr>

Close and save the file.
        Tracey
        SellerDeck

Comment

I've got a patch that allows you to have a large number of User Defined fields in the checkout. I've attached it here.

Norman
          Attached Files
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
          X