external linking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

external linking

I need customers to consult .pdf files, and thought I could do that by placing them on a separate website and inserting links in the catalogue. I've just come across a line on p.26 of the User Guide which suggests that this can't be done, and that an attempt to link to an external site will result in a 404 error. Can this be so?

If I'm in luck, and it's not so, then I also need customers to be able to navigate back. Presumably there's no difficulty about inserting an HTML NAME in the product title.

I'm not sure what that entry is that says it's not easy but you can quite simply do this at the Product Level.

Open a Product and look in Product Details (click "Advanced" if visible), look in the General tab and in Information Link Text enter some text like "Click here for the manual". The File/URL field ungreys.

Now if your PDF is on someone elses site (or a non-Actinic part of yours) and you can enter into File/URLthe URL of your PDF - i.e. http://mysite.com/docs/manual.pdf

If the PDF file is one of your own you can simply use the Browse button to locate it and Actinic will upload it for you as well as creating the link for you.

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks. I was being thick again. Now realize the Users Guide was saying if you link to an external file that isn't there ... people won't get it. Yup.

How can I stop being stupid?

Comment

Working...
      X