Importing a product into multiple sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing a product into multiple sections

i'm trying to create a catalog from an existing database. thus far, i've been able to create product records for hierarchical import. but here's the problem:

each sku has a 'category' and a 'model'.

we want to organize the catalog so that there are two main sections: category and model. each sku would appear in the appropriate place in each hierarchy.

eg:

section "skus by category"
    section "a"
    product sku1
    product sku2
    end section
    section "b"
    product sku3
    product sku4
    end section
    end section

section "skus by model"
    section "model101"
    product sku2
    product sku3
    end section
    section "model102"
    product sku1
    end section
    section "model140"
    product sku4
    end section
    end section

when i do the import what happens is when trying to import the skus by model, every product (i guess) has the following error message:

There is already a product with that name.

so... what do i put in the import file to tell the import program 'copy sku1 here'?
    David Camm
    President
    Advanced Web Systems
    Keller, TX

Not sure about this but I think you say

Section "skus by category|a"
    product "sku1"
    end section
    Section "skus by category|b"
    product "sku2"
    end section

etc

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

jan - not sure that this will work.

after further reading (i'm new to actinic) it appears that a product reference (what i'm calling sku1, sku2, ect) must be unique. so, once it's imported the first time, it cannot be imported again at a different place in the hierarchy.

it also appears that one CAN duplicate a product elsewhere using a component. HOWEVER, products with components can't have attributes, and that's a show-stopper here.

if any of the developers are reading this what i think is required is a 'link' attribute which basically says duplicate this product reference (in it's entirety) here.
      David Camm
      President
      Advanced Web Systems
      Keller, TX

Comment

Sorry, I took sku1, sku2 to be the unique product references for the same product, I read your problem as being unable to define subsections in the import file.

As you say you cannot have the same product (reference) in several sections (without using components), I have a tool to make it easier to duplicate products but it is only available for business or developer. (See http://www.mole-end.biz/acatalog/Solutions.html for more details)

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud

A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

... HOWEVER, products with components can't have attributes, and that's a show-stopper here.
          That's not quite the limitation it appears to be.

You can have a zero priced, non optional component attached to a product that contain all the attributes and choices that the product needs. Now you can have any number of additional "real" components (with their own attributes if required).

I usually call such a component "Info" or "Options" or whatever suits.

Norman
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

If you are getting a message saying that you can't add a component because an attribute exists that is because you have to add the attribute after the component. If you attributes have already been created, the trick is to use CTRL-X to cut the attribute, then add the component and then use CTRL-C to paste the attribute back in.

Regards,

Comment

jan - re your two replies:

1. as far as your tool is concerned, right now i'm trying to generate an initial import file to convert this customer from a linux berkeley-db file application to actinic. i'm certainly interested in this tool as a way to do maintenance, but first things first.

2. thanks. i understand the cut/paste scenario.
              David Camm
              President
              Advanced Web Systems
              Keller, TX

Comment

norman - i think you've got it!

i just tried this manually and exported the result. the program i've written (only about 50 lines of perl) to create the import file can easily be modified to include this structure and create new product references.

i'll give this a shot.

credit my not knowing this to my 'newbie' status with actinic.

jan - if i can create and import this file sucessfully, and now have duplicate products with different product references, will my customer be able to use your tool to maintain the catalog? OR does the initial import have to be done with your tool?
                David Camm
                President
                Advanced Web Systems
                Keller, TX

Comment

All you have to do to use the tool is link the product references via an external database, so you could use it for maintenance - it is limited to the fields available to external database linking, from looking at your earlier messages it looks as if you have the skills to write something similar to create an import file for Actinic to replicate the changes across the duplicated skus.

Regards,

Comment

TADA!!!!

finally got a completely successful import.

my only concern now (haha) getting everything else in the catalog organized an configured correctly.

thanks to both of you for the help.
                    David Camm
                    President
                    Advanced Web Systems
                    Keller, TX

Comment

Working...
                    X