Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top-Level and Sub Section Navigation (Javascripts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top-Level and Sub Section Navigation (Javascripts)

I'm using the Layout14 from the Clean Layout Themes (w/ Section List already exists -NETQUOTEVAR:TOPLEVELSECTIONSTOP-). And, I'm trying to change the Section list either to a jump menu with a drop-down menu for Top-Level and Sub Sections or a list. With following the steps from the Advanced Users Guide (pg 27 through 33), I'm getting multiple Java runtime errors on previewing the web site locally. I removed the NETQUOTEVAR:TOPLEVELSECTIONSTOP, and tried each single section list option from Adv.Users Guide. None of them seems working, or I'm leaving out something.

My purpose is having Top-Level and Sub Section List on the left to ease the navigation. I've more than three-level sub sections on some of them. So it creates a hasssle to reach the products.

Or is there another way besides NorTree?
    Any suggestions?

B.Kaya
    Thanks

PS: Web site has not been launched to Internet yet.
    BK

Hi,

I've tried the code that you were using for a Drop-Down List with Top Level Sections and Sub-Sections by copying and pasting the code into my Primary template and it worked fine.

Can you attach your Act_Primary.html file (change to extention to .txt so you can attach it or paste the contents into your post) and I will take a look at what you have done.
    Tracey
    SellerDeck

Comment

Here it is...

Here is what I wanna do; I'm having our Top-Level Sections on the left, while having a drop-down jump menu for Top & Sub-level Sections on the right. I tried both drop-down and list for top and sub-level sections, they gave errors. I also tried Yahoo style, it gave me an error.

The attached file is Drop down for top-sub section.

The JS errors I'm getting are:
      Error: Expected Hexadecimal digit
      Error:"section_tree" is undefined

bk
      Attached Files
      BK

Comment

PS:

PS: With Netscape it seems like it's ok.
        BK

Comment

I'll bet you've got some unusual characters in one of your section names.

Norman
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi,

I've tested your Act_Primary.html template in one of my sites and it works ok without any javascript errors so there is nothing wrong with the coding. Can you check Norman's suggestion.
            Tracey
            SellerDeck

Comment

Ok I think I've got it!

Norm, you were right. I had ignored naming conventions and used some characters on some of the section names. But, though I changed those, I still got the errors. When searched the net I found what it's.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...cimaldigit.asp

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum91/383.htm

"\u" is escape code for a hex digit
              "u\" also gives errors

So I changed the image names:

WAS
              section_tree[5].pChild[4].pChild[1].sImage = "images1\subsecCPU\xeon_1_512.gif";

NOW
              section_tree[5].pChild[4].pChild[1].sImage = "images1\subsecCPU\ixeon_1_512.gif";

WAS
              section_tree[20].pChild[1].sImage = "images1\subsecimg\ups_netsvr.gif";

NOW
              section_tree[20].pChild[1].sImage = "images1\subsecimg\apcups_netsvr.gif";

Thanks guys. Tracy, Norm I appreciate your help.

Regards

BK
              BK

Comment

I think Actinic already know about this. This is a Previewing problem only. Also it probably woudn't affect a live site as all the images are in the same folder and there would be no \ in any path names.

In fact a \ should really always be represented by \\ in a JavaScript string (because future versions of JavaScript may define new \ codes) so Actinic would be much better fixing this by replacing all \ with \\ when generating these JavaScript arrays for Previewing.

Norman
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                X