V7 and Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V7 and Windows 7

I have just bought a new computer running Windows 7. I have installed V7.07 successfully and it works fine, however I now want to edit one of my Act_Primary files but the folder is Read Only. Try as I may I cannot change the permissions to allow me to Write. I read in another thread that Vista assigns permissions in the Program File folder automaticaly and they cannot be changed even with administrator rights. Is it possible to install Actinic V7 into a different folder other than the Program File folder or is there another method of solving this. Help would be appreciated.
    paul kelly

Try running your text editor as administrator. Eg right click and select run as administrator.

Otherwise you could turn UAC off.

Comment

Another way is to uninstall V7 and to re-install it into a folder of your own creation.

E.g. I put it into D:\Data\Actinic V7 (my OS is on an SSD C: and my D: drive is generally just for data).

All files are now read/writeable so no problems when editing.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for the reply, however I can edit a copy of the file whilst it is in a different directory but then I cannot save it back to the original directory. I am going to try NormanRouxel's approach and I will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Norman, I will try your suggestion and let you know how I get on with it.

Comment

I tried both solutions as suggested by Drounding and by Norman, unfortunately I couldn't get either to work. It seems that Win 7 insists on putting Actinic V7 into the Programs Files folder with no method of changing the target folder. In the end I found I was able to edit Act_Primary and other such files by selecting the edit tab adjacent to the Layout lable whilst in "Content" editing , this opened the file in NotePad and from there I was able to edit and save the file. This worked fine. However I still cannot edit any file from directly inside the Site1 folder, e.g the actcore.js file.

Comment

Did you try turning UAC off?

Comment

It seems that Win 7 insists on putting Actinic V7 into the Programs Files Folder
                Not so. There's definitely a dialogue in the Actinic install that lets you choose the program location. It's titled "Select Install Directory" and there's a Browse button. Browse to an pre-existing folder. Using Win 7 Pro here.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Norman
                  I have installed V7 a number of times now trying to solve this, even to the point where I have gone through each directory to remove any residual files. On install I get no choice of location at all (Running Win 7 Pro). I have not turned off UAC, I may try this next time.
                  Thanks for your replies.

Comment

I use v7.0.5 in W7Pro with no problems. The Site folders are in C:\Program Files\Actinic v7\Sites. If I want to edit the templates I can edit them from within Actinic using the template manager or, as I usually do, with an external editor.

I have UAC switched on and use Notepad++ as my editor. I run Notepad++ as Administrator and I can edit and save the templates back in the same location.

How and with what editor to do you edit the templates?

Comment

V7 and Windows 7

Hi. I have sorted this problem. I had the need to re-install my V7 on my Win7 machine again recently. I realised that a full un-install is needed from the control panel and then delete all associated files, otherwise W7 re-installs the last itteration of the program, which does not allow the choice of an alternative file location. With everything cleared out out, including the recycle bin I was able to install V7 into a folder other than the default Programs folder. All working fine now.

Paul kelly
                      www.sportique.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X