Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy New Year - and a bit of help please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year - and a bit of help please....

Got a weird techie glitch that I suspect might not actually an Actinic problem. But boy is it causing me grief.

Each time I upload an amendment to the site Catalog will just stop halfway through the process. The activity meter in the system tray shows no throughput, but the connection's ok cos I can email & surf. I've got several ISPs, some 64k some 128k and the problem occurs no matter what ISP I use.

All I've been doing to get round it is a bodge: I disconnect then reconnect, Catalog bleats a few times but then resumes. That would be ok if it wasn't for the fact that some of the Perl goes corrupt. Lots of "general script" errors. Yeccch.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

Dave
    www.attacc.com

Hi there.

You could try changing the upload mode, please go to Advanced | Network setup, and try checking (or unchecking) use passive FTP transfer and try uploading again.

Does the Network settings test pass, if not what is the error reported.

I hope this is useful.
    Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

I occasionally experience the same problem, which seems to happen at busy network times (1pm - 5pm GMT) - the system hangs mid way through an update. If you wait long enough (can be 30 mins or more), it will eventually report back that the server has reset and do you want to retry. As with Dave, my usual get out when I get stuck like this is to shut down the software with CTRL ALT DEL and restart again.
      Whats the worst I can be doing to my set up by closing down like this?

Comment

Whats the worst I can be doing to my set up by closing down like this?
        We have never had any problems by using the old '3 finger salute', (CTRL, ALT, DEL).

However, I would always recommend taking regular backups and keep your software authorisation key safe, that way you can always restore.

Hope this helps.
        Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

Darren - thanks for that

... I've unchecked the passive FTP transfer, but haven't had the courage to completely refresh the site. It'll cost me an hour to reupload it if it hangs. So I'm going to do the cowardly thing & wait till the weekend (when I've got more time) to see if this makes a difference.

Incidentally, it sails through the Network Settings Test, both before and after the alteration, and I'm still half convinced that it's an ISP problem rather than an Actinic one.

Will report back here over the weekend - and thanks for taking the time to help.

Dave

Comment

Hello again.

I have a thought, we have free test trial space for 30 days, you are more than welcome to try and upload your site to it. Please click Here to register.

The system will send you an email with instructions on it, but don't forget to export your settings from the Advanced | Network setup window first!
            Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X