upgade from Actinic V5 to V6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgade from Actinic V5 to V6

This is more of a query than a problem. (im just anticipating them)I've used actinic for just over a month I need to upgrade from version 5 to the latest version 6.

I've been told that the templates have been amended to create the look of the website & have also been told that the last few upgrades that were done they had problems(anticipating thing).

From what I've read on the forum the database gets upgraded to Access 2000? That is about as far as I know.. is there any changes that get run on the actual website upgrades for perl? or whatever is running the front end?

1. Basically Templates are they easy to recreate?
    2. Do I have to get my ISP to upgade perl?
    3. Will having access 97 on the machine affect anything?
    I cant think of anything else at the moment.
    mailto:mandy@queenswood.co.uk
    http://www.queenswood.co.uk is the website address.
    David Shorthouse,
    Website Manager,
    http://www.Queenswood.co.uk

Hi David,

the database gets upgraded to Access 2000
    This is not strictly true. The database upgrade means that the fields required to run v6 are insterted into the current database (v5 it is an Access 97 db and with v6 it is an Access 2000 db). Only new sites licensed with v6 or upgrading from a previous v6 version will be Access 2000. You can, however, manually upgrade the database to 2000 if you have Access 2000 on your pc. The reason for doing this is because of the limitations with MS Access - Access97 databases can only hold up to 1GB of data, whereas Access 2000 can hold up to 2GB.

Basically Templates are they easy to recreate?
    It shouldn't be too difficult as you will still have your v5 site on your pc, so you can compare those templates against the v6 site templates and copy and paste any changes that have not been taken across by the site upgrader (you do get the chance to do this during the site upgrader process but as you may have seen on this forum the upgrader interface can be quite daunting). You will also have to make sure that you don't delete anything that has been introduced into v6 that was not in v5 in case you stop the site from working in some way. All the original templates for v6 are kept in 'c:\program files\actinic ecommerce v6\formats\themes\' so you can compare against these also.

Do I have to get my ISP to upgade perl?
    No, if v5 works, then v6 should work. However, be aware that the amount of memory to run v6 scripts has increased - they need at least 16MB of RAM. You may want to check this with your hosting company.

Will having access 97 on the machine affect anything?
    No.

I hope this helps.
    Tracey
    SellerDeck

Comment

Many thanks for the quick responce that has now taken a load of my mind..

Thanks again

Dave Shorthouse
      David Shorthouse,
      Website Manager,
      http://www.Queenswood.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X