Help! Strange error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Strange error?

This evening, after completing import of all to-be-replicated products from an external database and scattering them throughout 14 sections, I tried to "offline preview" the website before uploading it into our web server for the first time.

The "Check Files" dialog box came up, but nothing else happened. Within the dialog, "Checking HTML pages" and "Checking brochure pages" remained grayed and the word "Static" appeared in black text.

I left it there for 20 minutes, thinking that perhaps the system was just being slow. When nothing happened, I hit cancel, and then the following error appeared:
    "The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data"

This error message now also appears when replicated products are edited and when a single page is offline previewed as well. I deleted all the temporary files in my 'PreviewHTML' and 'SiteHTML' folders but that did nothing.

Any ideas to which field this error might be referring, or why it's suddenly appeared?

Hi Jon

There are a few things you could try:

1) Try a compaction of your database (in 'Housekeeping' menu).

2) Try previewing a few single sections/pages and see if it is all, or just some, pages that give the error. You can also do this by deleting (but not purging) a few sections, then previewing, then undeleting them and trying deleting some other ones. See if this helps you pin down the error.

3) Try closing the link to the external data and then previewing. That way, Actinic will just use its internal data and it will hopefully help you to pin down where the error is coming from.

If it is an error about field lengths, here is a list of the max number of characters in a few key fields. Hopefully they will help:

Product reference 20

Short description 255

Full description 20,000

Report Description 20,000

Image Filename 50

Date prompt text 50

Other info prompt 50

Detail Link Text 20,000

Extended Info Text 20,000

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thank you! Wow, that took some time to track down!

I greatly appreciate those field limit numbers. They were invaluable.

Best regards,
      Jon

Comment

Working...
      X