Run Time Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run Time Problem

My Client has moved a version 4 catalog from one computer to another.

The old computer had windows ME on it - the newer one has XP. They didn't export the file using a snapshot they have C&P'd the 'site1' folder.

When you run actinic it opens with a run time error and closes itself.

I have re-installed actinic and the program starts ok with the original site1, but when I C&P my clients site1 the run time error occurs again.

Are there any file that I can put into Site1 so that runtime error will not occur.

Please bear in mind that my customer does not have access to the orginal computer.

You refer 3 times to "run time error" but don't actually say in any detail what it is. I'm sure this info would help pinpoint what's happening.

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

It happens right on start up. The full error message is:

"Run Time Error

Program C:\\Program Files\Actinic ecommerce v4\catalog.exe

abnormal program termination."

once you click 'OK' it bounces out.

If I re-instate the original site1 then the program runs OK.

Comment

Hi there

If I re-instate the original site1 then the program runs OK.
        Looks like Actinic does not like the acatalogcatalog.mdb, on that site. Maybe its corrupted. This is the main database that hold all your data of your store.

Do you have a old backup, or you might want to just copy the old database on the customer ME machine to the XP.

Kind Regards
        Nadeem Rasool
        SellerDeck Development

Comment

I think it may be down to Normans usual advice about doing a backup. i.e. as well as the sitet files you also need:

"Also copy all the info in Houskeeping / Security (by copying and Pasting to a textfile) and put that file on the same CD. You have to do this as this info is in the Registry and not in Site1."

I think it's to do with the encryption of the database.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

The problem is I don't have anything to back up with, to or from.

Actinic has been transferred from one PC with ME on it to another with XP. using a link - They didn't take any backups/snapshots or anything, they just C&P 'Site1'

I uninstalled the 'dragged over' version of actinic re-installed it onto the new machine and it works OK, with the initial 'Site1' (the one that comes as standard on install)

If I try and C&P my clients 'Site1' that's when the problem occurs.

Comment

Hi there

I don't understand C&P (Do you mean Compress and Packed??)

The issue is that default site1 works fine, but when you replace the site1 folder with your client data and open Actinic, actinic tries to get the information from Actiniccatalog.mdb, if it cannot commuicate with this for whatever reason, then it will bring up an error. Its Possible when you C&P, it is corrupted the access database

I think it's to do with the encryption of the database.
              Like Norman says the encryption is kept in the registry, not in the database. So even if the encryption key is wrong, you should not get this error. The error is occuring due to Actinic trying to make a connection with the database

Rather than C&P, can you just get the client to do a snapshot on the windows ME machine and save this to your desktop? Once you saved it, then move this to the XP machine and simply import it.

Kind Regard
              Nadeem Rasool
              SellerDeck Development

Comment

I think C&P is probably 'Copy & paste'.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

This might be a total red herring but in transferring files between PC's I once had the file attributes changed all over the shop for some reason (that was Windows 98 to XP), so some were read only, archive, etc - consequentally, I ALWAYS create a zip file of Site 1 (and the text file referred to) on the first PC and then unzip on the second PC.
                  Paul Codman
                  <a href="http://www.snoozeshop.com/acatalog/index.html" target="_blank">www.snoozeshop.com</a>
                  01394 670970

Comment

If you copied via a CD there is a possibility that some files have the read-only attribute set.

You could try selecting all the files in Site1, Right Clicking, Choose Properties and clear Read Only.

Norman
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi,

The problem is my customer has not got the old computer anymore - so I cannot retreive anything from the old computer. If I had the old computer I would have made a snapshot from it and imported that.

I have also tried unchecking the 'Read Only' attributes from the files and folders, to no avail.

If the database is indeed corrupted, is it a case of start from scratch?

Originally posted by Nadeem
                      Hi there

Looks like Actinic does not like the acatalogcatalog.mdb, on that site. Maybe its corrupted. This is the main database that hold all your data of your store.

Do you have a old backup, or you might want to just copy the old database on the customer ME machine to the XP.

Kind Regards

Comment

Hi there

If the database is indeed corrupted, is it a case of start from scratch?
                        I'm afraid so, as Actiniccatalog.mdb is the crucial part of the software

Kind Regards
                        Nadeem Rasool
                        SellerDeck Development

Comment

Although, you could try opening the dodgy database in Access 2000.

It may then be possible to export your product data ('Product' table) and your section data ('Catalog section' table) from Access and then paste them into a new Actinic database.

Comment

I get the message 'cannot make changes to database objects in the database 'ActinicCatalog'

Can I safely covert the actinic databases to Access 200 format on the original site1 and the customers database without it causing other problems in actinic?

I exported the tables - but the import feature of 'get external data' is greyed out when I open the unconverted database with Access 2000.

Originally posted by cdicken
                            Although, you could try opening the dodgy database in Access 2000.

It may then be possible to export your product data ('Product' table) and your section data ('Catalog section' table) from Access and then paste them into a new Actinic database.

Comment

'cannot make changes to database objects in the database 'ActinicCatalog'
                              This message is because the database is in Access 97, but you are trying to open it in Access 2000. All this means is you cannot add columns to the table (but you don't want to) but you should be able to copy and paste data.

Open up the corrupt database and go into the 'Product' table. Click the button in the top-left of the table to highlight the entire table. Then copy it to the clipboard. Then open the new ActinicCatalog.mdb and go into the 'Product' table. Highlight the entire bottom empty 'new row' row by clicking the grey button to the left of it. You should then be able to just paste into the data from the clipboard.

Repeat this for the 'Catalog Section' table.

Comment

Working...
                              X