• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perl 5.006 and Actinic 6.1.4

Hi

My ISP (Demon internet) only support Perl 5.004

I read on the Actinic download page that:

'Actinic 6.1.4 requires Perl version 5.006 or higher installed on your web server in order for the online store to work correctly'

Actinic go on to say:

'If your Perl version is less than 5.006, you should contact Actinic support before upgrading'

which implies to me there may be a workaround.

Does anyone know if there is a way 6.1.4 can be used with Perl 5.004 ??

Any info will be appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Speaking to Actinic before upgrading would suggest that they are saying this if you are going from an older version of Actinic Catalog/Business to a newer version, which inturn requires the new perl scripts to be operational on the hosting server.

See if your hosts have a newer version of perl on the server in a different location maybe, as some have differing versions to cover certain eventualities, although only an idea...

Comment

I think that Perl 5.004 dates back to 1997. They won't get a more current version? Perl 5.006 is at least three years old.
      Bob Ladden

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys.

I contacted Demon yesterday and they do indeed support Perl up to version 5.8.0

I have now changed my Catalog script settings to use Perl 5.8 and it works fine with my current version of Catalog (v6.1.2). I will be upgrading to v6.1.4 soon.

- it's just that Demon's online documentation does not mention that newer versions of Perl are available for use on their servers. I guess they need to update their docs.

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Peter,

I've a 6.1.3 site on Demon (Showroom) so was listening in. You'r info above just save me from finishing the lillte scriptlet i was cooking up to return the true Perl vession.

Anyway, did you have to make any changes in Network Setup (regarding Perl) to go from 6.1.3 to 6.1.4?

Norman
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi Norman

This is the mail I got back fom Demon:

START-----------
            I can tell you that there are several versions of perl on the
            server. Below is a lit of the version and how to call them.

#!/bin/perl -> 4.036
            #!/bin/perl5 -> 5.004_04
            #!/bin/perl5.6.0 -> 5.6.0
            #!/bin/perl5.8.0 -> 5.8.0

FINISH---------------------

I wrote a test script to output the perl version (with #!/bin/perl5.8.0 on line 1) and it reported that the version was indeed 5.8.0

In Actinic catalog I changed the path of the perl installation for my hosting server (in Network Settings) to:

/bin/perl5.8.0

I then regenerated the Actinic scripts (in Tools?) and all the Perl script (*.pl) and module (*.pm) headers were automatically changed to #!/bin/perl5.8.0

I then refreshed my website (running Actinic 6.1.2) and it worked without error.

NOTE: The only strange thing I noted was that when I did a
            "Help->Troubleshooting->Web Site Analysis" it reported the perl version was "5.008"

I think this is a reporting error by the Web Site Analysis tool.
            - Any comments ???

Regards

Peter

Comment

I think that v 5.008 make more sense than 5.8 to be honest

Comment

Most web hosts I come across have either 5.006 or 5.008 installed.

I don't suppose it really matters anyway as Actinic will work fine with your server now.

Comment

Hi Guys

I disagree - if the perl scripts are configured for Perl 5.8.0, the web analysis tool should say '5.8.0' not '5.008'

To support this argument, the test script I wrote which merely does a "perl -v" outputs:

"Version: This is perl, v5.8.0 built for sun4-solaris Copyright 1987-2002, Larry Wall Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit. Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'. If you have access to the Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page. "

This is not a big deal I know, but thanks for all your help guys.

Cheers

Peter

Comment

Working...
                  X