Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perl vs. Apache 2.0 struggle

Hi,

I've recently installed Redhat v10 with Apache 2.0 and am currently struggling to configure my httpd.conf file correctly to allow the execution of the Perl scripts.

When a .pl script tries to execute (i.e.: the shopping cart) I receive an "Internal Server Error" page.

I have read hundreds of pages of possible solutions in forums and google groups but I just cannot get perl to execute correctly.

I have one concern and that is when I look at some of the generated .pl files from Actinic they do not have a content-type near the top of the script where I'd expect to see one (from reading many sources).

I'd appreciate any help or even a fully functional httpd.conf file from someone's server so I can compare it with mine.

Thanks in advance.

The Perl version we tend to recommend is ActivePerl (download from here), which includes a Linux build.

They should have instructions within the download file for correct Apache configuration.

With regards to the headers in the Perl files, I have never heard this before, so I doubt this is the thing causing you problems.

Comment

Thanks for the info Chris.

I've successfully installed ActivePerl now and following their instructions have added it to the system PATH.

Being a complete notice...I've hit a dead end again. The script is being displayed as text on my browser, it's not trying to execute at all any more.

Any ideas?

Do you have an example httpd.conf that will handle Perl script?

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

I think this can happen if you have uploaded the script ASCII rather than Binary or vice-versa
        Owner of a broken heart

Comment

I'm only publishing the site via Actinic and am not using a third party FTP app. Can / does Actinic send in ASCII format? If so, how can I stop it from doing this?

Please find attached a JPG of my network settings. Can anyone see anything wrong here?

Many thanks.

Attached Files

Comment

Hi there

Can / does Actinic send in ASCII format?
            All perlscripts need to be uploaded in ASCII format, and this is determined by the server. Actinic cannot change format, changing ASCII to Binary.

I have also found out with Redhat server, you need to edit the config file.

Redhat server has a default upload in binary format, so you need to set it to upload to ASCII

Here are some information i got from another client

Basically the vsftpd.conf exists twice on the server by default. It seems that different builds of Redhat use different conf files, and obviously I edited the wrong one!
            Uncommenting the line : ascii_upload_enable=YES is what actually fixed it.

The files are located :

/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf
            /etc/vsftpd.conf
            Kind Regards

Nadeem R
            Nadeem Rasool
            SellerDeck Development

Comment

I removed the hash, restarted the xinetd service (not vsftpd as this just hung the ftp service?) and now IT WORKS!!!

Thank you for all your help. Now I can get on with things

Comment

Working...
              X