Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign accents in search text

Hi All

I have a small problem - and wonder if anyone has a suggestion as to how to overcome it.

I sell wine, and some of the wines have foreign accents in their names. One such example is Juliénas - with an e-acute accent. Problem is that if someone searches the site using the search facility, using the name WITHOUT the accented characters (eg Julienas) then actual references to Juliénas are not found, presumably because it fails to find an exact match, the ASCII codes for "e" and "é" being different.

If I use the non-accented text on the site then it looks wrong and anyone who knows the products will think this is a glaring error. So accents there have to be.

Is there any way around this? Ideally the search tool would find all instances of the character with or without accents, perhaps this could be added to the wish-list.

Is there a short-term workaround?

(The same thing also applies to Internet search engines).

Nick
    Fighting with sellerdeck on http://www.nickdobsonwines.co.uk

I can recall someone suggesting adding common misspellings to a product description using hidden text in the description to allow search to pick the products up so maybe you could do that - can't find the posting though.

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

That was me. Try this in the Product Description

!!<<noscript>>!! Comon mispelt wurds !!<</noscript>>!!

The customer will never see these (unless they've JavaScript disabled - and that's probably 0.something %) but Actinics search and Search engines will.

Norman
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

That seems to work just fine - thanks Norman/Jan.

It would still be nice to see this as a standard feature - one for the wish list, if any wish-list controllers are reading this.

Nick
        Fighting with sellerdeck on http://www.nickdobsonwines.co.uk

Comment

Actinic do support this but only in Business. It's a much more sophisticated solution where you can have searchable custom properties.

Norman
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
          X