Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change network settings without access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change network settings without access?

So I just moved an old v7 site to a new hosting company. I had to amend the ftp password in the network settings, forgetting that v7 is highly annoying in that it absolutely insists on adding 'acatalog' to the paths and refuses to let you save any changes without also changing this path.

So the known fix for this is to simply amend the mdb file directly using MS Access to remove the offending path.

Except it appears I no longer have Access on my PC... and I'm not going to go and buy it just to update one file.

So is there a way to fix this problem without access?

(please don't suggest the trial version - it's complicated, but I tried that and it conflicts with the version that's already installed by office but isn't covered by the office licence (?!))
    John

Duncan Rounding posted this code a few years back. You'd need to make sure that a) you backup database before trying and b) you have the correct SQL syntax for the UPDATE command you want to execute.

Copy/Paste the following into a blank notepad document, and save it as a VBS file extension (e.g. sql_execute.vbs).
    Double-clicking this file will result in the code being run. The first dialog box allows you to select your ActinicCatalog.mdb database, the next allows you to type/paste you SQL query you wish to execute against this database.

Code:
    '-----------------

'@author    Duncan Rounding - Genesis Technical Ltd - www.genesistechnical.com
    '@date        2009/04/22
    '@version    0.1
    '@history
    '0.1    Initial    2009/04/22

'-----------------

'This script will allow entry of a SQL script and execute it on a selected Microsoft Access database.
    'Use at your own risk

'-----------------

ON ERROR RESUME NEXT
    siteFolder = pickFolder(0)
    mydb = siteFolder + "\ActinicCatalog.mdb"

sData = InputBox("Copy the SQL query you want to execute into the input box")

strAutoset = MsgBox("This will update the selected database with the SQL query." & vbcrlf & vbcrlf & "BACKUP THE YOUR DATABASE BEFORE CONTINUING" & vbcrlf & vbcrlf &"Select 'Yes' to go ahead and update the database - wait for the update to finish." & vbcrlf & "Select 'No' to cancel." ,4)
    If (strAutoset = vbYes) then
        Set OBJdbConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
        OBJdbConnection.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & mydb
        SQLQuery = sData
        Set Result = OBJdbConnection.Execute(SQLQuery)
        OBJdbConnection.Close    
        msgbox("Completed - Database updated")
    Else
        msgbox("Aborted - Database not updated")
    End If

Function pickFolder(strStartDir)
        Dim SA, F
        Set SA = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
        Set F = SA.BrowseForFolder(0, "Choose the folder that contains the Actinic database you wish to work on.", 0, strStartDir)
        If (Not F Is Nothing) Then
              PickFolder = F.Items.Item.path
        End If
        Set F = Nothing
        Set SA = Nothing
    End Function
    Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
    Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
    SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Weird. I'm sure I've posted this before but a search isn't finding it.

MDBplus is a great free tool for editing the database.

http://www.alexnolan.net/software/mdb_viewer_plus.htm
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Or just take the database on an USB stick to a computer that does have Access.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel View Post
          Or just take the database on an USB stick to a computer that does have Access.
          Good thinking 'out of the box' Norman (pun intended)

Comment

Working...
          X