I need help regarding the Home Page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help regarding the Home Page?

I understand about making amendments to the Catalog pages via the Primary/ProductLine/Catalogbody etc etc templates . . .

. . . but I can't see how you amend the content of the Home Page i.e. the one that is created in Preview as P_SiteRoot_index.html.

I assume I can design a Home Page in e.g. MS FrontPage and copy it into the Site1 directory - but if I do what do I name it?

Thanks for helping me with this.

Mark Barrett

Mark,

The overall look is dependent on the 'Front Page Layout' in Primary Templates in Design Options -which obviously makes it look like the rest of your site. If you double click the little house icon you can rename the page and add keywords for search engines etc. If you Right Click on the house icon you can add more brochure pages for 'News' or 'Jobs' etc. If you choose 'New Fragment' you can add text to the page and even picture or icons, even hyperlinks to products etc.
    All this is quite simplistic but at least the links to the other pages in the site work. Which is one of the problems if you use a third party program such as Frontpage. If you do use this program open the P_Siteroot_index in the preview html folder, add whatever text etc you need and rename it 'Index.html'. It needs to be placed outside the 'acatalog' folder but in the public html folder. The links to the other pages and catalog will need to be checked as these will point to other local preview pages. It would be safer to upload the site and retrieve the 'Index.html' from the server, edit it, and upload it replacing the old version. (Don't overwrite the 'Index.html' in the acatalog folder!)

Hope some of this helps?

Lee
    Lee Owen
    Web Design | Illustration | 3D
    kcbdesign@tiscali.co.uk

Comment

Home Page

Lee

Thanks for that information.

I've carried on looking at this for a while and I now realise that the layout of the Catalogue pages is driven by the "Primary" template and the layout of the Brochure pages including the Home Page is driven by the "BrochurePrimary" template.

Obvious when you know but not when you don't!!

So I can put any code I choose into "BrochurePrimary" to get exactly the style and content I want for the Home Page.

The only possible downside I can see is that I can't have additional brochure pages in Actinic (as they would all look the same as the Home Page) - but that's a minor inconvenience as I can just generate and upload any such pages independent of Actinic.

Or have I missed something more fundamental?

It leads me on to one additional question - but I will ask that as a new thread so as not to "muddy the waters" here.

Mark Barrett

Comment

The only possible downside I can see is that I can't have additional brochure pages in Actinic (as they would all look the same as the Home Page) - but that's a minor inconvenience as I can just generate and upload any such pages independent of Actinic.
        Yes you can. You can can create a range of overall layout (Act_BrochurePrimary) templates with different names, and then select different ones in the 'Layout' field of each brochure page.

Comment

Chris

Thanks for that advice.

I see now that you can individually select a different Layout for each Brochure page - I hadn't realised that before.

Thanks again

Mark Barrett

Comment

Working...
          X