Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade to version 6

Hello,

I am expecting to do an upgrade of our website as of tomorrow.
    I have taken a full backup of the website.
    I have also compressed "Actinic ecommerce v5" directory & writting that to CD.
    I have copied all the templates from the templates manager to txt files for quick copy & paste.
    We are going from actinic V5 to V6 is there anything else I should be aware of??? do we need to check the version of perl?
    I have never done an upgrade for actinic before so would like to get it run as smoothly as possible.

We use frames & shtml does this effect anything actinic will do?

Many thanks,
    David Shorthouse,
    Website Manager,
    http://www.Queenswood.co.uk

I have taken a full backup of the website.
    I take it by this you mean 'a snapshot' - in which case you will be fine.

I would install a copy of v6 on your PC and then select that you want to upgrade you v5 site during the installation. This will upgrade your database and upgrade any templates you have customised. This will also leave your v5 site running as it was - with no effect.

You have a pretty simple store layout running within the frameset so I think that it should upgrade OK. It you get problems then I would start with a basic theme (e.g. 'Business') and then copy and paste your custom HTML elements into the v6 templates.

To switch over to the v6 site:

1) Suspend ordering on your old v5 site by ticking 'Suspended' in 'Business Settings | Orders'.

2) Upload this and then download any orders.

3) Download again in 30 mins to get any remaining orders.

4) Close Actinic and copy the 'ActinicCatalog.mdb' database from the 'Site1' folder in v5 to the 'Site1' folder in v6.

5) Open v6 and the database will be upgraded.

6) Refresh the store from v6 (Web | Refresh Website)

7) Un-suspend ordering and then upload again.

Your v6 site will then be live.

Comment

I hadnt actually taken a snapshot I basically downloaded the site off the website. Although now I have done a snapshop.

Well today is the big day just waiting for the CD to arrive now.

Many thanks for the advice I actually didnt know you could suspend the site.

Any ideas apox how long a full upgrade takes? the backend(database/templates/programs)

Many thanks Chris.

Cheers
      David Shorthouse,
      Website Manager,
      http://www.Queenswood.co.uk

Comment

Any ideas apox how long a full upgrade takes? the backend(database/templates/programs)
        The technical process takes 2 or 3 mins. You will then need to spend a decent amount of time checking over your templates to ensure they look OK.

Comment

Working...
        X