Password Protected Sections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Password Protected Sections

Our website is for consumer use but we also have a large amount of trade customers. I would like to set up a top level trade section of the site with details of trade prices etc. Can this section be username/password protected? Is this easy to set up? Any help would be appreciated

Simon Bridges

www.alexreade.net

From experimenting with uploading to a password protected directory, I found that all pages except index.html require a login. I didn't find a way round this, and I have to do a password protected store soon, can anyone else help?

Malcolm
    ¤ The world wide web needn't cost the earth
    ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
    ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

You have hit the nail on the head Malcolm. I really don't want every one of our users to have to login as I am convinced, from experience, that this can be off-putting. This also doesn't solve the problem of allowing only 'trade' customers to view the 'trade' section.
      Hopefully someone out there may have a solution. As we don't need a secure 'shopping basket' for this section of the site I may have to register a seperate domain/allocate web space and build a new site from scratch. Not a preferable situation but needs must...
      Thanks anyway

Simon Bridges
      www.alexreade.net

Comment

http://knowledge.actinic.com/users/k...dmin/acatalog/

this simply points you at the advanced user guide which shows how to insert some javascript into the page to redirect non-logged in users elsewhere....

its not perfect, but it works to a fashion, the only problem i saw with it is that it loads the page, THEN redirects you, so, if someone wanted to see the page, they can click stop button in their browsers before it actually redirects and view your page, or if the redirect takes a long time because the user is on 28/56k they also get to see the page you didnt want them to see..

i wonder if actinic can make that a little better? it would be quite useful if the content didnt display at all rather than just a redirect....i would use it then!

anyway, hope this helps you a little, ps. i havent tried this one for months so it may be better / different to what i describe..

steve q.
        harlequin domains

Comment

I don't like having to login to view a store either. I guess the options are either to use Business (if that does things the way you want), or to go the new domain/hosting route, as you suggest. Feel free to privmail me about hosting, I might be able to do a bit better than your present package.

Malcolm
          ¤ The world wide web needn't cost the earth
          ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
          ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

Thanks foir the suggestions. It looks like a new site build on a seperate domain is the only user friendly/usable solution.
            Thanks anyway

Comment

Working...
            X