section vs sub section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

section vs sub section

Could someone please explain the difference between a section and a sub section.

What difference to the operation of my site does it make if I use the layout:

section
    section
    sub section

instead of:

section
    sub section
    sub section

I am wanting to insert sibling to parent links at the bottom of each page (just single links rather than a full list of all sections in the next level up).
    Is this related to the whole section/sub section thing, and is there a NETQUOTEVAR that directly identifies the parent, in the same way as NETQUOTEVAR:NEXT_SECTION can be used for the neighboring sibling?

There's no fundamental difference between a section and a sub-section. They all each become a single page in the online store, it just so happens that you often have sections positioned within other sections - hence you get a 'sub-section'.

The sibling section links (aka the next/previous links) will cycle through all the sections that are next to each other at the same level of the store. This could be the sections at the top-level of your store, or a set of sections within a particular section in Actinic.

Hope that helps clarify things for you.

Comment

Thanks Chris

Our catalog layout is along the lines:

Marvel Comics Section
      -- Hulk Sub section
      -- Spiderman Sub section
      DC Comics Section
      -- Batman Sub section
      -- Superman Sub section

I understand that a customer can move from say Superman to Batman by clicking PREV, once we put the links in place. What I was after is having a link so that from Batman PREV would then take you back from DC Comics (top level he is in now), to Marvel Comics or to Spiderman (neighbouring sibling to Batman, but in a different section), or can he only achieve this by using the BACK button?

Hope I have explained that clearly enough!

Comment

I understand that a customer can move from say Superman to Batman by clicking PREV, once we put the links in place. What I was after is having a link so that from Batman PREV would then take you back from DC Comics (top level he is in now), to Marvel Comics or to Spiderman (neighbouring sibling to Batman, but in a different section), or can he only achieve this by using the BACK button?
        You need to place the next/previous links within the overall layout (Act_Primary) template. You then need to create an alternative layout template for the 'Batman' or 'Hulk' sections (i.e. the first section in a set of sibling sections). Within this new overall layout template, replace NETQUOTEVAR:PREV_SECTION_URL with NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBUPLINK (which takes you to the parent section).

Comment

Thanks Chris

It was the NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBUPLINK I needed

Now all I need is some spare time to make all these changes I want to make <s>

Comment

Working...
          X