• Time
  • Show
Clear All

help! error in shop.html

hello,
    i am having major problems.
    www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk
    My site is hosted with claranet soho.
    The problem being that a randow error is happening. When you enter the shop from the homepage a 404 error page not found or server resest error occurs several times a day.
    I have just spent half an hour on the phone to claranet who basicly said that teh error lof gile is full of errors to the following link.
    http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.u...alog/shop.html

I have re-uploaded twice, the problem has been going on since january.
    My link from google if you search for TRADITIONAL SWEETS is in their top ten. But sometimes clicking on their link to my site brings up this error.
    Claranet has said that nothing is wrong their end and the fault lies with Actinic and they should update their software.
    I am running Catalog 6.1.4
    I think claranet are just giving me the run around.
    Can somebody please help me as this error is happening 20-30 times aday.
    Thanks
    wes
    Treasure Island Sweets

404 Error means 'Page not Found' as you say, and it's generated by the server so it's absolutely nothing to do with Actinic. Especially if it's an intermittent fault.

I would suggest that it's a problem with Clara's server. If it's anything like their e-mail at the moment, it will be abysmal.

Keep on at them, and see if you can get your site moved to another server or something.

Comment

thanks
      i suspect their server . There email is real bad right now. They informed me th email issues will carry on for at least another two weeks.
      Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

If I were you I'd also check your network settings for the path from cgi-bin to acatalog. Clearly the wrong path is being used somewhere, but that doesn't explain why it's intermittent.

As you have no log-in on the front page or anywhere else, you could also just change the link to your catalog as a straight link to your shop page. Thereby avoiding the cgi-bin and the error and making it more search engine friendly.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

hello,
          thanks for the help.
          I have changed my links so they have direct links without the log on part.
          The main one i am still having difficulty with. Is how do I change the main link from the point where a customer enters the shop from the first homepage.
          If i explain.
          you go to www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk
          click on 'enter Shop' on the top nav bar.
          This is taking you through the cgi bin to get to treasureislandsweets.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html

I dont see where i cange this link.
          IF you go to google
          search for TRADITIONAL SWEETS
          and click on our link which is on the first page about no.6
          It is linking through the cgi bin. This comes up with an error page not found.
          I am sure the pearl with claranet must be misconfigured.
          But they say everything is fine.
          Thanks
          wesley
          Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

I think you're seeing a browser caching problem. Go to www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk, hit the Refresh button on your browser, and then try the Enter Shop Link.

I got the wrong URL "shop.html" but that went away after I hit refresh and now "index.html" is where I'm sent.

It looks like you had the catalog top-level page set at some time to shop.html but have since changed it to index.html.

Norman
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Wierd! It's half an hour later and now shop.html is working but index.html isn't. Perhaps you're changing things.

Norman

Comment

hello
                i have just changed it back to shop.html as i realized my links from google were all out if i cahnge to index.html

It is now shop and will stay shop!

It is strange that on the homepage if you enter the shop by clicking on the big image there are no problems.
                If you enter by clicking on teh 'enter shop' text link in the nav bar more often than not you see a page not found error.
                This has al been working fine for months. I am sure claranet has done something to the set up.
                wes
                thanks
                Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

I see you now use shop.html instead of index.html as your catalog start. If anyone has index.html bookmarked they will get Error 404. You can work around this by saving the following as index.html (in Site1) and asking Actinic to upload it for you via Advanced / Additional Files.

Code:
                  <HTML>
                  <HEAD>
                     <meta HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="0;URL=http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html">
                     <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
                     <TITLE>Treasure Island Sweets</TITLE>
                  </HEAD>
                  <BODY>
                  <CENTER>
                  <H1>Treasure Island Sweets - We've moved!</h1>
                  <br>
                  <b>We've moved to <a href="http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html">Treasure Island Sweets</a>
                  <br>you should be sent there automatically in 5 seconds.  If that doesn't happen then just click the link.</b>
                  </CENTER>
                  </BODY>
                  </HTML>

Norman

Comment

thanks for this.
                    Do you know how i can change the link on the homepage
                    'enter shop'

At the moment when you click this link it takes you via the cgi bin.
                    I want the link to be the same as the one when you click on the main image to enter the shop.

http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.u...alog/shop.html

Thanks
                    wes
                    Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Go to 'Design | Options | Brochure' and remove the values from the 'Link to Catalog' fields.

Then click the 'Edit' button next to the 'Overall Layout' field and locate NETQUOTEVAR:HEADERGUIDE.

Next to this variable, add

<a href="http://www.treasureislandsweets.co.uk/acatalog/shop.html"><b>Enter Shop</b></a>

Comment

Working...
                      X