Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

META Tags

Hi

This is my first message but I really need help with this I am pulling what hair I have left out. I have been trying to add meta tags to my homepage which is within Actinic www.laurenrose.co.uk as when I run it through http://www.seomasters.com/meta-tag-analyzer/ it tells me I have absolutly nothing. Although we have a google page rank of 4 I cannot find us using any search term other than our own name. I know we are in a competive crowded business but it would be nice to at least find myself within the first 20 pages!! My question then is should I edit the Primary Brochere page myself which is what I have done, and add the tags. Or let Actinic do it with the page propertys in my homepage.

Thanks in advance

Steve
    www.laurenrose.co.uk
    Steve
    www.laurenrose.co.uk
    www.shelovesdiamonds.co.uk
    www.gentsstuff.co.uk

Hi there.

There are quite a few discussions regarding Search Engine Optimisation on this forum, take a look at

Here

for the thread, and Here

for some information from Google.

Hope this helps.
    Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

What my main concern is, why is it showing that I have no META tags at all?
      Steve
      www.laurenrose.co.uk
      www.gentsstuff.co.uk

Comment

It is strange as it picks up my meta tags ok.

It may be this bit at the the start of your page:

<Actinic:TEMPLATE type="begin" filename="C:\Program Files\Actinic Ecommerce v6\Sites\Site1\SiteHTML\SiteRoot_index.html"/>

Looks to me like your primary template may be corrupt.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I've just checked my site on there and it's showing as no meta tags too. What exactly needs to be added for the tags put into the actinic? I want all tags (brochure pages, main page, and all tags put into each of the sections, etc) to be listed. It's probably just a NETQUOTEVAR missing (or a couple of them missing).

Comment

Ok, I've just had a bit of messing around and found what seems to be the problem.

I downloaded the index.html file via FTP and the following is the first two lines of the file:

<Actinic:TEMPLATE type="begin" filename="C:\Program Files\Actinic Ecommerce v6\Sites\Site1\SiteHTML\SiteRoot_index.html"/>
            <!-- BrochurePrimary HTML begin -->

I removed this line and the meta tags were seen no problem.

I went into the Act_BrochurePrimary.html file, but there's no reference to this at all.
            The brochure page starts with <!-- BrochurePrimary HTML begin --> and nothing before it, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

I also noticed a lot of references to C:\ from the downloaded file, but Act_Primary.html and Act_BrochurePrimary.html have no reference to the C:\ drive.

What is causing the first line to be added, and why are there references to the C:\ drive when the templates have no reference to it at all?

Comment

That's the second time this strange bit of code is showing up. From what I can see SiteRoot_index.html as the temporary preview name for the index.html page at the root level (i.e. it's used so the preview knows the difference between what will be index.html and acatalog/index.html).

It certainly has no place in the uploaded files.

Maybe someone in Actinic could investigate and see if there's a bug that could be causing this.

Mike

Comment

Hi there

You can rid of the above, by going into Actinic, then go to "Design | Option | Miscellaneous"

Simply tick Compact HTML/CGI and it will remove all comments and template queries.

These "Actinic:Templates" are interpreted by the dreamweaver extensions

Kind Regards
                Nadeem Rasool
                SellerDeck Development

Comment

Thanks Nadeem,

I always use the compact HTML option as a) the files are smaller and b) the html produced is hard for anyone else to read.

This is good for stopping competitors but bad for debugging if you need external help.

mike

Comment

Hi Mike

This is good for stopping competitors but bad for debugging if you need external help.
                    True, i normally say when designing a site, untick compact cgi/html, but when the site is finished and finalised , then compact it and do a final upload.

Kind Regards
                    Nadeem Rasool
                    SellerDeck Development

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for that, it seems to have removed that suspect line of code. Athough now the title is appearing when I run it through that meta analyser it still can't see the meta tags even though when I look at the code for the page I can see they are there!

Any suggestions would be welcome
                      Thanks
                      Steve
                      Steve
                      www.laurenrose.co.uk
                      www.gentsstuff.co.uk

Comment

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by stevehale
                        Thanks for that, it seems to have removed that suspect line of code. Athough now the title is appearing when I run it through that meta analyser it still can't see the meta tags even though when I look at the code for the page I can see they are there!

Any suggestions would be welcome
                        Thanks
                        Steve
                        The same with me. After compacting the html. Using http://www.seomasters.com/cgi-bin/meta.pl It still reports no meta tag description of meta tag keywords, yet I can see them upon View source.

Also, regarding meta tags, where do I put the other meta tag codes such as the robot tag and author tag - is this required by the search engines, especially Google.

I have read all the posts regarding meta tags, but it is so much and so many variations, I'm just totally confused

Thanks
                        Bonnie
                        www.bonnies-gift-shop.com
                        Unique Gifts & Home Decor
                        Retail/Wholesale/Drop Shipping
                        www.bonniesgifts.com
                        Gift Baskets Gift Ideas Unique Gifts
                        Retail/Drop Shipping

Comment

Ok. It was doing the same thing fro me so I took a look in some more detail.

Essentially the script is pretty dumb and doesn't like the actinic stuff that appears before the meta tags.

You can change the order of these so the meta tags appear first by moving this line:

<!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:HEADERMETA -->

from where it is and putting it straight after the title tag.

Doing this doesn't seem to break anything else and the analysis script will then find the meta tags OK.

Mike

PS. Robot and author tags are not needed. Don't worry about them.

Comment

Excellent works fine now, thanks for that you have saved what hair I have left from being pulled out.
                            Steve
                            www.laurenrose.co.uk
                            www.gentsstuff.co.uk

Comment

meta tags

Originally posted by olderscot
                              Ok. It was doing the same thing fro me so I took a look in some more detail.

Essentially the script is pretty dumb and doesn't like the actinic stuff that appears before the meta tags.

You can change the order of these so the meta tags appear first by moving this line:

<!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:HEADERMETA -->

from where it is and putting it straight after the title tag.

Doing this doesn't seem to break anything else and the analysis script will then find the meta tags OK.

Mike

PS. Robot and author tags are not needed. Don't worry about them.
                              Hi Mike,

I moved it to straight after the title tag, but when going to
                              this site to do an analysis, it still is only showing the description tag.

Any other suggestions,
                              Thanks
                              Bonnie
                              www.bonnies-gift-shop.com
                              Unique Gifts & Home Decor
                              Retail/Wholesale/Drop Shipping
                              www.bonniesgifts.com
                              Gift Baskets Gift Ideas Unique Gifts
                              Retail/Drop Shipping

Comment

Working...
                              X