Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

licence question

Hi

I developed a site for a customer a few months back using Catalog. We (the development company) bought Catalog, I installed and developed the site locally, then handed it over to the customer, who now has it installed happily on his machine.

Since then we (the development company) have purchased Developer, to develop new sites for new clients.

I am uncertain as to how it will work with regard to licences if I now import and maintain the original client's site on my Developer. As the original site is licenced under his Catalog licence key, if I now licence a new site and import his snapshot on my machine it will have my Developer licence key associated.

Will we then both be able to maintain the site, he from his machine with the Catalog licence, and I from mine with the Developer licence - will there be any conflicts?

Cheers, Dan
    adaptive-image.co.uk

Hi Dan

Will we then both be able to maintain the site, he from his machine with the Catalog licence, and I from mine with the Developer licence - will there be any conflicts?
    In what way will you both be maintaining the site? If he is using his catalog to download the orders, and you are using your developer to upload updates to the site then that is fine...

Conflicts will arise if you are both wanting to upload - if you are both making changes to the site, you will have to exchange snapshots after making changes, so as not to overwrite any changes the other person has made.

Hope that helps.
    ________

Comment

Hi James, thanks for the reply.

At the moment, he is just processing orders. I appreciate that there will be data conflict issues if he starts to make catalog changes, and that snapshot exchange will be necessary. My query is more to do with whether there will be licence conflicts if we are both uploading from different licences?

Perhaps I can associate the original Catalog licence, with this one particular site in Developer, or is this unnecessary?

Dan
      adaptive-image.co.uk

Comment

Hi Dan

I would say that it is not recomended to upload from two machines in this way, because of the risk of loosing data, plus you would have to refresh the website everytime after making changes as oposed to doing a quick update if you were doing it from just one machine.

If however you are wanting to do this, the license key shouldnt pose a problem, you would have to make sure that the encryption keys are the same though on both machines...

You can check this by going to Housekeeping | Security, then you can copy the the encryption ket from the catalog site, and paste it into the field on the developer site.

Comment

Perhaps I can associate the original Catalog licence, with this one particular site in Developer, or is this unnecessary?
          That should work just fine. Just license a new site but use your clients Catalog only key. Actinic will then operate that new site in Catalog (not Developer) mode which should be desirable as you and the client will be seing the same things.

Norman
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman, will do
            adaptive-image.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X