The site configuration has been updated by the shop operator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The site configuration has been updated by the shop operator

Eureka! I found a way to force the mysterious “The site configuration has been updated by the shop operator” error.

If someone goes direct to os*.pl with no parameters (the null error) and with no cookie in Netscape, the error occurs. If there is a cookie, the expected error will occur. In IE, the expected error always occurs.

I don’t understand it.
    Bob Ladden

I spoke too soon. I was able to cause it in IE, but I had deleted the cookie between checkout pages.

It takes an unnatural act to cause this. Not something I would worry about.
    Bob Ladden

Comment

I spoke too soon again. It seems to be related to the null fix. If there is null and there is no cookie (not likely in real life), this error occurs.

That may be a clue to the error we sometimes see. It may be a corrupted cookie (a cookie pointing to a non-existent product or section).
      Bob Ladden

Comment

Originally posted by rmladden
        I spoke too soon again. It seems to be related to the null fix. If there is null and there is no cookie (not likely in real life), this error occurs.

That may be a clue to the error we sometimes see. It may be a corrupted cookie (a cookie pointing to a non-existent product or section).
        That's exactly what I was getting when I accessed OS*.PL directly prior to the application of the "Input is Null" fix.

Comment

I'm convinced that this error in real life is related to a bad cookie or someone playing with the site. I may change the text to be more meaningful (or less specific) (phase: -1 ID: 2249).
          Bob Ladden

Comment

I see this error in the log time and time again, but Ive never been able to force it on the site....
            I wonder, is this generated when robots access the os*.pl page direct - they wouldnt have cookies etc?????
            I have a robots.txt that excludes the cgi-bin, but I notice a lot of 'bots drop in on the perl scripts without ever looking at robots.txt (inktomi slurp - they are the worst offenders, i rekon 10-20 % of visits can be from them some days!!!!)
            any ideas?
            Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
            www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

Comment

I agree with Bob in that if I access OS*.PL directly on my site with no cookie present, or an expired cookie, then I get the error that the Site Configuration has been updated.

This is after applying the working "Input is Null" fix and succesfully testing it.

Comment

Working...
              X