Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flash, ampersands and dynamic links

hey ho

as a designer, i haven't used actinic since version 2 (!), since we now invariably code our own shopping cart systems. we recently acquired a contract with a client who had already purchased actinic, and i'm now fumbling my way through it. this is day two.

i noticed that the act_navigationitem file uses some form of 'for' loop or something, since the link is only defined once (additionally, i couldn't find any reference in the advanced netquotevars dictionary to TEMPLATEBEGINXML or TEMPLATEENDXML).

anyway, i'm using a flash file for the buttons, and where the file name is defined in the object/embed tags thus: "button.swf?doodlebug=NETQUOTEVAR:NAVLINK"

then, within flash, i run an indexOf() on the var 'doodlebug' to define the icon, and 'doodlebug' can be used directly as the link. so, if it's the terms page, NETQUOTEVAR:NAVLINK = info.html, so indexOf("info") > -1, go to the little info icon, and when clicked, retrieve the url "info.html". simple. *ahem*

however, i've noticed on some working sites that occasionally the checkout and cart buttons return urls that contain ampersands: "ss0000001.pl?ACTION=Start&REFPAGE=http://whatever.com"

the problem is, as soon as flash encounters an ampersand passed with a variable, it assumes you're trying to pass it another variable, eg action=start and then also refpage=whatever.com.

the way to get around this usually is to change any ampersands being passed (via php or whatever) to %26, which will then be correctly encoded. i'm kind of assuming actinic will just pass an ampersand as an ampersand?

is there a) any way around this that anyone knows (i'm guessing not) or b) a definitive set of additional variables, so that flash could handle them individually and simply append them to the url being passed?

thanks a lot

I have no idea about flash I'm afraid.

All I can suggest is manually creating a navigation bar in flash (not worrying about the Act_NavigationItem.html template) and then placing this navigation bar into the Overall Layout template (Act_Primary.html) which controls the design that goes around the outside of the bulk area.

You can try using the following variables for the URLs of the flash buttons...

Search link address NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBSEARCHLINK
    Checkout link address NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBCHECKOUTLINK
    Cart link address NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBCARTLINK
    Email link address NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBMAILLINK
    SiteMap link address NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBSITEMAPLINK
    Info link address NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBINFOLINK
    Up link address NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBUPLINK
    Back link address (new) NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBBACKLINK
    Catalog link address NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBCATALOGLINK
    Home link address NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBHOMELINK
    Login link address NETQUOTEVAR:NAVBLOGINLINK

Comment