Actinic Link - path to Sage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic Link - path to Sage

I am installing Actinic Link for Sage, and creating a new "profile".

Sage Line 50 is on a different machine on the network to the machine with Actinic.

A path is required to the Sage Data Directory (ACCDATA)

It isn't possible to use the browse button to go outside the PC with Actinic, i.e. the network, and therefore I created a mapped drive (S to the Line50/accdata directory on the Sage machine.
    (That directory is shared).

Using explorer I can happily click on the drive S:\ and view the contents of that directory.... therefore it isn't a permissions problem.

However, selecting drive S:\ as the Sage Data Directory in Actinic link... (entering a valid user name and password) and click on Connect to Sage.... results in "Can not connect to Sage Database. Invalid data path. Please check your connection settings"

But I *can* connect to S:\ though explorer.... so why does it not work?

Help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Rod
    Old and rare books on CD for Historians and Genealogists

Hi Rod

Probably a stupid question, but you are actually mapping through to "Your Server:\\Sage\ACCDATA" aren't you? (as opposed to just "Your Server:\\Sage")

Steve

Comment

Yup

Comment

Stupid question No. 2:

Have you created a user account in Sage specifically for Actinic to use, and are those user details the ones you have placed in the Link "Sage Username and Password" dialogue?

Steve

Comment

yup to that too

A new Sage user... so that a "real" person doesn't get bumped out of Sage for logging in from two places.... (yes "he" can log in to Sage OK too).

And yes... I did try it with my own Sage login too. But that didn't work either.

But please do keep asking the "stupid" questions ;-)
          One of them might lead to the answer to the problem.

Cheers
          Rod

Comment

It does sound like you are doing all the right things. Have you just mapped 'S:' directly to the ACCDATA directory - so all you have in the field in Actinic Link is 'S:\'?

Try mapping S: to the 'Line50' directory instead (so the path is 'S:\ACCDATA') as it could be that Actinic Link needs some application files in some other parts of the Sage installation.

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
              It does sound like you are doing all the right things.

Thanks Chris....
              I thought so too... but hey... this is a computer ;-)

Have you just mapped 'S:' directly to the ACCDATA directory - so all you have in the field in Actinic Link is 'S:\'?

Yes....

Try mapping S: to the 'Line50' directory instead (so the path is 'S:\ACCDATA') as it could be that Actinic Link needs some application files in some other parts of the Sage installation.
              Yes... just tried that. And it reports the same error:
              "Cannot connect to Sage database. Invalid data path. Please check your connection settings"

(but I can navigate to there using the mapped drive S:\ using explorer, and both Line50 and its ACCDATA directory are shared).

I'm stumped :-(

Regards
              Rod

Comment

One final thought - could it be that you need to actually install a client version of Sage Line 50 on your PC that you are running Link on? It could be that Actinic Link needs Sage installed in order to have all the ODBC drivers etc. available to connect to the Sage database.

It is worth a try anyway.

If there is still no joy then register an email support query at http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.htm and the team there will be able to refer to the Actinic Link developers for advice.

Comment

Final stupid questions (and they are really stupid).....
                  Are you sure you have the correct version of Sage selected under the "general" tab.

Does your the Sage user Account dedicated to Link have full access rights within Sage? (See Sage: "Settings" then "Access Rights" and ensure that account is set to full.

"Sage Line 50 is on a different machine on the network to the machine with Actinic."
                  I assume this means you have installed Link on the same PC as your Actinic installation?

The Link manual states quite clearly that it can be installed without Sage, but it does have to be the same PC as Actinic.
                  That said I have Sage, Link & Actinic on My PC, with Sage drawing it's data from a network location, so I can't prove or disprove the manual.

Steve

Comment

Yes to all of that.... but no, Actinic and Actinic Link doesn't have to be on the same machine as Sage. Actinic Link is on the same machine as Actinic, and that is necessary).

The weirdest thing about all of this is that if I map S:\ to the *LINE50* directory on the other machine.... and THEN select ACCDATA from the drop down list of directories in LINE50....

Do you see what I mean ???
                    Actinic Link *FINDS* the ACCDATA directory! for me to select it!
                    But... clicking to connect to it results in that path error...
                    "Cannot connect to Sage database. Invalid data path"
                    But it already DID find it for me to select it!

Rod

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdicken
                      [B]One final thought - could it be that you need to actually install a client version of Sage Line 50 on your PC that you are running Link on? It could be that Actinic Link needs Sage installed in order to have all the ODBC drivers etc. available to connect to the Sage database.

But (the very first) part of the installation of Actinic Link required that I obtained the ODBC driver keys from Sage.... as per your instructions in the manual, where you strate their phone number to get them ;-)
                      Which I did of course.

Are you now saying that Sage also has to be installed on the same machine as Actinic? erm... has anyone ever *tried* running Actinic Link with Sage being on a different machine?

Cheers
                      Rod

Comment

did you ever get this working?

I'm about to try the same thing on monday, but if it's not possible I'd like to know before I spend all day faffing around trying to get it to work...!
                        John

Comment

John,

This is a very old thread you found to tag onto. Link has come a long way since 2004 and the latest version not only integrates well but the user manual is very very descriptive and if followed setup is a breeze.

Kind regards,
                          Bruce King
                          SellerDeck

Comment

Yes, I did the setup and it went ok - looks like it will do the job (the sage expert who'd never seen it before was very impressed with the information it imported into sage!)

My only grumble is it remembering what it has exported... but that's all in another thread...
                            John

Comment

Working...
                            X