import customvar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

import customvar

anyone got any bright ideas as to how to import a customvar into the database. I've got 300 products which need to be updated with this customvar...I really don't want to have to do it manually

I've done this by having the customvar details in an external database and then generating a hierarchical import file from it. You only need to know the product reference if you use update to add it.

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Customvar

hi jan, ive managed to import my custom vasrs from V7 to v9.4, and have placed CUSTOMVAR:TITLE1 (forexample)
      in the template

when i preview, just the the text that is a marker for the custom var is there

CUSTOMVAR:TITLE1

not the custom var as defined in the sections

my variables are in the libarary??
      http://www.novadetox.co.uk

Comment

in v9 there is no such thing as a customvar, hence calling a customvar in your layout will not work.

Assuming you have sucessfully imported the data you will now need to handle it within actinic as a variable (this is the replacement for customvars) and place this in your layout (layouts are the replacement for templates)

Comment

I don't understand how you can't import a CV in v9 unless you already have the relevant CV created in Actinic first.

In v9 it's much easier to import CVs scoped to Section and Product because they can simply be placed at the end of the columns for Section and Product as required instead of requiring a separate header and it's own rows as in v7.

Comment

You do have to create the variable manually before importing in V8/V9, but as you say, once you have done that it's nice and easy to import them.

You have to use this syntax now for variables (VarName is the variable) :

<actinic:variable name="VarName" />

Your customvars will be in the design library as variables now and if you upgraded your V7 site to get them into V9 then they will probably be in the general sub section on the variable tab.

Regards,
            Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud

A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
            Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
            Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Vars

Ok, thats great can i Add the vars In access, are they in a table in V9.4, ??

as i got quite a few to add, so its better if i can just add them to the table, do you know what table ??
              for sections and for products???

ive manually added a var to the catalog, and its displaying in the site, however i cannot find it in the DB?

thanks in advance Lee

Comment

Always best to do it through the proper channels, but if you wish to do it direct, why not add one new one in actinic and then go into the database to see how it is setup to replicate. Once you've done that, you'll realise setting them up in actinic is probably easier, quicker and far less hassle.

Comment

Certainly wouldn't recommend just adding CV data directly in ACcess. It's simpler to import the CV data via Actinic.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                    Certainly wouldn't recommend just adding CV data directly in ACcess. It's simpler to import the CV data via Actinic.
                    ok but i havent actually constructed the values for the vars yet... im going to set the vars up in actinic, but the actual variables for the values run in to hundreds of rows as im adding the feilds for google base, when you mention importing them by spread sheet , i still have to tie them to the sections can they be added as additional colums to the Cataloge section table??

or is there a table in the actinc database ?? i have done it in v7 before no problem . Ive added a few vars within the actinic program, looked at the table within actinic for them , (product properties) but they dont appear to be there... ?? thanks if any ideas the name of the table the vars for sections live in

Comment

Just to repeat what has already been said, it's better to use the import interface for Actinic than to start hacking the tables directly.

Regards,

Comment

hi lee, im not talking about the vars in the variable table, but the actualk values i want to assigne to these vars im creating,

as mentiond im having to add ten+ish variables per section fort hundereds of pages, so although ive added afew to look at thenm in the database, i cant find the table thats populated with them, ... do you know the name of the table.. thanks,lee

Comment

Your best solution is to use a simple import. You can create it in excel, save as csv and import it into Actinic.

Comment

jan you said you managed it by importing from an exsternal database, creating a hiarachial flat file then imported it

dh you have to give the colums headers, and if so what are they?? are they the names you assign to the vars in the libary?? sorry for being dumb, and i do appreciate you help,

so 1 colum with the section ids (do i need a heading) and one colume with each variable value, ?? whit the name assigned to it in the libary as the value.??

actually jan i know you kind of, ink4print.co.uk about 7 years ago i was buying my mailing lables from you, also inktecshop?? (sam my sister) ring any bells??, im now www.novadetox.co.uk,

cheers,

Comment

Make sure Auto Generate Product Reference is off in Actinic Business Settings - Options then create a simple hierarchical import csv file containing as a minimum the product reference and the CV value.

See that attached grab of a an example.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X