Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - 3 orders generated by one purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - 3 orders generated by one purchase?

Hi - a bit of a strange one this regarding the ordering process...

I have recevied 3 orders from the same customer for the same item. The customer has received 3 confirmation emails, each with a different order number for the same product.

The customer has contacted me on receiving the 3 emails claiming that he has only ordered the product once and only wants one delivered.

Is it possible under any circumstances that the customer has only ordered once yet 3 orders have been generated?

TIA
    Regards
    David

It's a bit strange but could happen if the customer had problems getting to the payment page, backed out and then tried again (twice).

(I'm not sure about this but think the above is what you'd see in these circumstances)

Normally the confirmation email only goes out after payment is received, so I have to assume this was an order that didn't need payment with the order.

Either way I wouldn't worry about it if it's only a once off. If it happens again then it's probably worth tracking down, otherwise I'd just ignore it.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi - thanks for your reply.

I've just had a closer look at this and noticed 2 things:

1. The time difference between the first and last order is 5 minutes.

2. The customers name on one of the orders is spelt differently

This seems to definiitely point to the fact that he ordered the product 3 times.

He paid for the product by credit card so I can only assume that either:

1. he backed out before the receipt page was displayed or
      2. his browser (or the cgi-script on the server) hung before the receipt page was displayed, he cancelled the browser and tried again.
      Regards
      David

Comment

Yup, definitely sounds to me like 'user error'

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Three times I have had duplicate orders. The orders are identical in every way, but the customer only wanted one order. I could never duplicate that. I do not use a shared SSL or PSP. I have my own SSL. The cart should have been empty after the first order is submitted.
          Bob Ladden

Comment

We had one of these the other day, and have had a couple before.

No shared SSL or PSP here either, and I've never been able to duplicate it either

Comment

Working...
            X