Adding SubSection name to Product line in Shopping Cart table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding SubSection name to Product line in Shopping Cart table

Hi, is it possible (and if so, how) to add the parent section name of each product listed in the shopping cart table?

So that where it says this (in Act_ShoppingCartXML.html) -
    Code:
    <TD WIDTH=280><SPAN CLASS="actxsmall">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME</SPAN></TD>
    it might say something like -
    Code:
    <TD WIDTH=280><SPAN CLASS="actxsmall">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTPARENTSECTION, NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME</SPAN></TD>
    Thanks,
    Dan.

There is no way to do this I'm afraid. The shopping cart gets the product name from the *.cat file in the 'acatalog' folder online that corresponds to the section. The section name is not included in the *.cat file anywhere so it cannot be displayed in the shopping cart.

Sorry about that.

Comment

that's annoying. The product names aren't very descriptive unfortunately, they're things like '250' or '400ex'. Without the manufacturer name alongside they get lost in the shopping cart table.

Possibly I didn't structure my data as Actinic likes it - under Catalog Home I have 6 sections, under each section come the manufacturers, and within each manufacturer section I placed the products.
      So with the full hierarchy path visible you can see what the product is, e.g. ATVs, Honda, 400ex.

Can you suggest another way of organising my data so that this is possible? Or do I just have to make the product names longer? (Doing that will cause me problems with how I display the products in the catalog though)

Here's the site URL so you can see what I'm dealing with -
      http://www.rjsxtreme.co.uk/index_new.html

Note I'm still developing the pages.

Comment

I think you'll have to give in and extend those product names. That's the only way to get the manufacturer into the Cart, customer confirmation e-mail and printed reports.

Norman

PS You could use descriptions like

Polaris > Octane

and have a bit of JavaScript around the Product Templates NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME that converts the > into

</b></span><br><span class="actxxsmall"><b>

as this would split the Name up like you prefer.
        If you do this I'd also include a line
        <noscript>NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME </noscript> so that search engines and dumb browsers can still see the name.

PS these are the most expensive things I've seen on an Actinic site for a while. Yum.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

This is a shame I think, that you cannot do this without all this messing about. Can I suggest that this become a feature in the next Actinic release? I really think that anywhere you can place a product name, you should also be able to place the names of all of that product's parents and grandparents in the hierarchy.

Thanks for that suggestion Norman, but I don't want to make the creation of new products any more complex for the client, as he'll have to add a lot more products and manufacturers to the database once I hand it over.

I think I'll have to live with it for now. Maybe they'll come up with better product names...

Oh, and please feel free to buy a quad bike

Comment

Working...
          X