can't control table cell widths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't control table cell widths

I am editing the productline3.html file to try to format products correctly for a long list of products with no images.

The problem is that the table cell widths are setting themselves to roughly 30% for the left cell (containing the product name & desc) and 70% for the right cell (containing the price & qty).

I have tried putting a width of 50% in the first cell but it makes no difference.

This is causing the product name to be wrapped to the next line, which is ugly.

I don't understand why it has chosen the widths it has - the longest price line is no longer than 50% of the width so why is it taking up 70%?

so...

1) Why has it chosen to set the cell widths as it has?

2) why is the 'width=50%' having no effect?

3) how do I fix it!?

code as below -

<body><!-- ProductLine3 HTML begin -->
    <!-- Insert HTML for the top of the individual product -->
    NETQUOTEVAR:INCLUDE Act_ProductSeparator.html
    NETQUOTEVAR:ENDSEPARATOR
    NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMBEGIN

<tr>
    <td rowspan="1" valign="TOP" align="LEFT" width="40%">
    NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEBEGINXML
    <a name="NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTANCHOR" href="(EmptyReference!)"><span class="actregular"><b>NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME</b></span></a>
    <br><span class="actxxsmall">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREF
    NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTDESCRIPTION</span>
    </td>

<td colspan="2" valign="TOP" align="right">
    <span class="actsmall">
    <b>NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTPRICE</b>
    NETQUOTEVAR:OTHERINFOPROMPT
    NETQUOTEVARATEPROMPT
    </span>
    <br>
    <span class="actxsmall">
    NETQUOTEVAR:CARTERRORXMLNETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTQUANTITY
    NETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOLINKNETQUOTEVAR:EXTINFOBUTTON
    <Actinic:ACTIONS>NETQUOTEVAR:ADDTOCARTBUTTON</Actinic:ACTIONS>
    </span>
    NETQUOTEVAR:TEMPLATEENDXML
    </td>
    </tr>

NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTFORMEND
    NETQUOTEVAR:NEXT
    <!-- ProductLine3 HTML end --></body>
    here's a screenshot -
    Attached Files
    John

additionally, where do I need to change it to make it say "inc VAT" rather than "Including : VAT @ 17.5%"? (see previous screen shot)
    John

Comment

I guess the first thing to do would be to get rid of the <body> tag at the beginning and the </body> tag at the end.

Also, products are always laid out over three columns - this is defined in Act_ProductBody.html. You have got your product names laid out in a cell with a colspan of 1 and the price/button in a cell with a colspan of 2.

This means that more emphasis is put on the second cell than the first cell.

I would change the first cell to be colspan="2" and the second cell to be colspan="1".

You can then change the 'Including VAT' text in 'Design | Text' (just search for 'Including') to save space.

Comment

I guess the first thing to do would be to get rid of the <body> tag at the beginning and the </body> tag at the end.
        they were there already, but have removed them.

I would change the first cell to be colspan="2" and the second cell to be colspan="1".
        ok, that looks better, although the price is now squished onto 2 lines

You can then change the 'Including VAT' text in 'Design | Text' (just search for 'Including') to save space
        it is not listed, I think it is making it up from several different places. I can shorten 'included' to 'inc' but how do I change the rest?
        John

Comment

ok, that looks better, although the price is now squished onto 2 lines
          You could go to 'Design | Options | Shop Defaults' and remove the word 'Price:' from the 'Product Price Description' field at the bottom. That will just show the price and nothing else.
          it is not listed, I think it is making it up from several different places. I can shorten 'included' to 'inc' but how do I change the rest?
          I'll explain in more detail. Go to 'Design | Text' and click 'Go to'. Enter Phase: -1 and ID: 219. This will highlight a prompt that reads:

(Including: %s)

Simply change this to:

Inc VAT

Comment

Working...
          X