Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System crash, urgent help please

Hello all,

My system crashed last friday night and things are not looking good at all. I won't go into explicit details of the crash but lets just say that I will never ever purchase another graphics card from ATI, neither will I ever use 'promise sata drivers' for the motherboard bios again

I have managed to reboot with a basic system and would you believe that the only program I cannot run is Actinic !!
    Every time I try to start Actinic I get a windows installer box pop up which tells me its installing "DAO.MSI" ?? I do not have a clue what this file is and xp pro cannot find it anyway. Actinic will not run until this file is installed, and I need to download and process pending orders urgently.

In a nutshell..........Help !

Regards

Mick
    Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

I have managed to process my orders by cancelling this weird DAO.MSI thing about 20 times but unfortunately I cannot print invoices at all ! Actinic hangs when trying to print invoices and print preview displays a blank screen forever ?

Any ideas, anyone ?

Mick@im_really_fed_up.co.uk
    Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Actinic uses a component called MDAC (particularly used by the reports), I think that you need to reinstall this. Run the Actinic setup.exe again and see if there is an option to install it. If not you might be able to get it off the net and install it - DAO is part of MDAC.

Regards,
      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
      Multichannel order processing
      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

windows installer corrupt ?

Thanks Jan,

Last night I tried the following :

Reinstall Mdac - Worked but didnt solve issue.
        Reinstall Actinic V6 - Downgraded Actinic and didnt solve issue.

Found Dao.msi package - Windows reports its not a proper package.

Found some freeware that installs Dao by default - Hangs on Dao install !

So im still stuck with no invoices and possibly reduced functionality elsewhere within Actinic. My intentions now are to wipe the system and start all over again (a very painful thought) but first I need to get this DAO.msi working so that I can back up Actinic with confidence.

Any more help would be great,

Regards

Mick
        Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Can you tell me the size of ActinicCatalog.mdb from the site1 folder.

If possible e-mail me a copy. It sounds like the database is corrupted. This happened to me recently and we had to rebuild the site.
          Owner of a broken heart

Comment

I think that you need to contact Actinic - you can do this for free by using the email form on the actinic website if you don't have cover.

Why don't you try installing my One Stop Order Processing product - it uses a different version of crystal to Actinic and so might work on your system. You can use that to print invoices etc while you are waiting to get your Actinic fixed. You can find it at

http://www.mole-end.biz/acatalog/One...rocessing.html

if has a 30 day free trial so it won't cost you anything.

Regards,
            Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud

A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
            Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
            Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Thanks Jan,

Your one stop orders program has allowed me to print invoices

I have actinic cover and will phone actinic support to try and fix the problem.

Regards

Mick
              Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Update

Have spoken to Actinic support and they have confirmed my worst fears - I need to reinstall the entire system because the Data Access Objects problem has really messed things up.

Im going to go one better and build another pc that will be dedicated to Actinic, swap the site1 folder from the dead / dying pc over to the new one and then reinstall the old one.

The moral of this story is do not install an ATI graphics card that uses MMC and Catalyst drivers on an xp pro system !

Regards

Mick

p.s. good news is that I can upgrade to v7 for free because im an actinic cover customer, which will solve smtp authorisation
                Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Re: Update

Originally posted by newshopbloke
                  p.s. good news is that I can upgrade to v7 for free because im an actinic cover customer, which will solve smtp authorisation
                  I'm sure that you have read the note in the release announcement but considering the troubles you have had so far, wanted to point out that you shouldn't UPGRADE to V7 until the end of the month when a newer V7 comes out. You can write a new site but you shouldn't upgrade your old one just yet.

Also if your system is well and truly broken then you could try these possibly ''wild guess" suggestions from a site selling VQLog (don't know what it is - looked at the main page and it seems to be something for people that like initials).

==========================================
                  Q) I have been using VQLog for some time but now when I start it comes up an error like "Error: 1706. No valid source could be found for product DAO. The windows installer cannot continue" and/or complaining that the file DAO.MSI could not be found.

A) This is due to a corrupted installation of Office-2000, even if Office-2000 seems to work OK for you. DAO components are installed also by Office although they are not used unless you access a database from Word / Excel, what is posible but not very usual.

Some ways to fix the problem:

First try selecting "Help - Detect & repair" menu option in any Office-2000 application (let's say Word or Excel) so that Office installer can try to fix the problem.
                  If this fails, the other option is to use the Windows Installer cleanup utility (msiccu.exe) than you can download from Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q238/4/13.asp)
                  If this also fails the last chance would be obviusly to completly uninstall Office-2000 and install it again. But I would try first the other two options.
                  ==============================================

Regards,

Comment

Jan,

Thanks again for this info.
                    I am not running any ms office applications at all on the system, so I cannot use detect and repair. I have used the ms installer clean up program but to no avail.

When the installer crashes while tring to install DAO.msi it says its looking for the following :

C:\DOCUME~1\mick\LOCALS~1\Temp\_isA7\

And it cannot find it, I have searched the system for isA7 and it does not appear to exist. The path does not sound right at all ?

Anyway, I can function as a shop (just) and will build a new pc and get it all up and running and then install the 1st maintenance release of V7, but only if im convinced all is ok.

Once again, great forum

Regards

Mick
                    Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Have you rebooted, because I think you need to do that for the change to action itself.

Regards,

Comment

Sorry Jan but I would like to know (at least) the size of ActinicCatalog.mdb

Can you tell me that newshopbloke?
                        Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Sorry Jan but I would like to know (at least) the size of ActinicCatalog.mdb
                          Sorry Gary, don't know why you are saying sorry to me. Your suggestion was a good one - the first thing to try, I assumed that newshopbloke had sent you a copy of his db or compacted and repaired it himself (which you can do in Actinic using Housekeeping/Compact db btw for onlookers) nothing to do with me if he decided not to do that.

I was writing my post while you were posting yours, so I didn't see yours until after I had posted mine if that makes sense - I wasn't trying to contradict you.

Regards,

Comment

On road to recovery

Gary,

Thanks very much for the offer, I wasn't ignoring your advice and was about to reply when I appeared to fix the problem somehow.

I tried the installer clean up about 10 times with rebooting and reinstalling DAO.msi and now Actinic is working without problems.

My MDB file is 5.41 MB and possibly needs work due to the following :

My system drive is F: and not C:, a lot of my images are not inside the Actinic folders and any backups report passive errors due to file paths being outside Actinic. No matter what happens I am building a seperate pc to use solely for Actinic and nothing else, and will probably call on you guys when I try to import my site1 folder to the new pc.

I am typing this from the damaged pc which needs to be wiped and reinstalled, this pc performs all my digital video editing for one of my other businesses and I think maybe I have been asking it to do too much at once. 3 hard drives and 2 graphics cards, 1 of which performs realtime video effects rendering and the other provides realtime mpeg 2 capture, tv, video, gaming etc etc.

Having all that lot on a pc with only a 380watt psu and a system drive called F: was a bad mistake from the start.

Sorry for such a long post, at least my shop is working again.

Phew,

Kind Regards

Mick
                            Kind regards,

Michael

www.stageprint.co.uk

Comment

Looks like you have it fixed.

I had the same error and it was a corrupted database than mushroomed in size from 6Mb to over 100Mb

Glad you are up and running
                              Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Working...
                              X