Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cgi problems after server change

Hi

We have just changed to a different server provider, but are still using Redhat Linux on the new server.

We were initially getting server error 500 when we tried to add an item to the basket (or anything else that required a script to work).

Server tech people suggested adding "- w" to each perl script, eg #!/usr/bin/perl -w

This worked with other non-Actinic scripts on our site, but not with the Actinic scripts.

Now if a customer attempts to add an item to their basket or view the basket the browser hangs.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jacob

Enter the '-w' after the '/usr/bin/perl' in the 'Path to Perl Shell' field in 'Advanced | Network Setup'.

Comment

-w in perl

Hi Chris

We have done this, it has no effect.
      We have tied doing it in the Network Settings and manually in the scripts.

Should we have done it for all the scripts (including those that begin #!perl or just the ones beginning:

#!/usr/bin/perl

Rackspace (our server hosts) are saying that Actinic cannot run because it relies on a much earlier version of Perl and this cannot be installed on the Linux server due to other dependancies.

Comment

You just need to do it 'Advanced | Network Setup' as that will change all the *.pl perl files.

I take it you have uploaded your store.

Did your web host give a reason for the -w? I've never come across it before.

Also - go to 'Help | Troubleshooting' and click 'Web Site Analysis'. What perl version does it say you are using?

Comment

Hi Chris

We have done it in Advanced | Network Setup, so that the path to the perl shell reads: /usr/bin/perl -w

We have then followed it with a complete site refresh.

Rackspace usggested that we add -w so that any errors in the perl scripts are ignored and the scripts carry on running.

According to Web Site Analysis we are running Perl 5.008. That is the whole problem, 5.008 is a seriously old version of perl, more than 3 years old. Rackspace's Linux servers are already on 5.8.0 (I have double-checked that I got the version numbers correct).

The server Red Hat Linux (ES3) server is very standard and used by literally thousands of sites. Unfortunately due to other server dependancies we cannot install and run an earlier version of perl. The scripts may state 5.002 or later, but they do not run (at least on 5.8.0 and maybe other versions).

We have server error logs showing a large number of errors each time we attempt to run a script such as ca000001.pl and others.

Can the perl scripts be recompiled to run on later versions of perl, including 5.8.0 ?

This is a serious problem.

Naturally we have checked all the server configurations with Rackspace. In fact our technical guys have been talking to Rackspace all weekend and today.

We have also discussed it with your colleagues at Actinic support, under our Care Plan.

Comment

Just to add we altered our own perl scripts for feedback forms etc so that they had the -w.

They now work fine on the server.

If anyone out there has had a similar problem it would be great to hear about it and any possible resolution.

Comment

Hi there

By looking at this thread I see you think this is an issue with the Perl version.

As I recommend in your other thread, register and email support query and the team will be able to look at your server and figure out what is going on for themselves. Make sure you include a link to this thread in your email support request.

Comment

Hi Chris

We have already done this.
                We just wanted to post to see if any community members had come across the same or a similiar issue.

P

Comment

Working...
                X