Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing order numbers

Hi there,
    Simeple question which I'm sure someone knows.
    If I have a missing order number (last 4 digit number, I mean. You know, jumps from 1234 to 1236 for example) is this due to someone abandoning an order midway?
    At what point are they "allocated" an order number?
    I know that the order itself is not created until they submit the final page but I'm guessing the order is referenced before then.
    I'm using the in-built encryption for Chariots On Hire (I use WP for Budget Bumps) which is having one of 2 effects, maybe.
    1) Putting people off (Golden Padlock issue.. might consider shared SSL if this proves to be the case but how can I tell for sure?)
    2) Customer is getting that far and finding that, using Windows XP (as I do), they don't have Java and can't be bothered to load it (I wouldn't! I obviously DID so I can test my own site though!) I have details, that come up quite noticeably, of what to do if the page doesn't load but I appreciate that many people will just not bother.

I've never used or seen shared SSL payment pages, do they use the same java forms? Would using shared SSL get around both these issues?
    Will be interested to hear about the order number allocation thing though. What point is the number given?
    Sorry for all the Qs! One of those days! (p.s. got another breif Q on eccomerce business forum too)
    Ta, Tracey
    Tracey

I never have a missing order number, but do get orders which are 'PSP pending'. But then I use an external PSP to process the payments. You shouldn't get missing order numbers as the VAT man will definitely want to see consective order numbers. What you should get are consecutive orders with some set to be payment pending.

If you use SSL, shared or otherwise, you will get the golden padlock and avoid the need for javascript to be enabled on the customers PC. Personally I doubt if that's much of an issue these days, but don't have any numbers to back up my gut feeling.

I find it very effective to use a PSP as you get the benefits of a secure payment page and fraud checking for a smallish fee.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      I *DO* use a PSP for Budget Bumps but, due to the nature of my business with Chariots On Hire, I have to make repeated transactions (monthly hire charges) for many orders and so I need to retain card details myself (bane of my life too!)
      FuturePay (at WorldPay) doesn't help as often times people need to extend their hire periods, add stuff or convert their hire to a sale and I need to be able to process their cards myself( I use worldPay virtual terminal to do this)
      I am unable to use realtime PSP processing for these reasons.
      Thanks for the help though.
      Tracey
      Tracey

Comment

Working...
      X